Issue? Fog Lights always on and battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Previous posted about batter issue/drain...

Noticed something trying to figuring out battery issue and not sure is this the norm? Had replaced OEM fog lights with DD fog-lights wired to aux switch 2-3-4, wiring done by 3rd party. Noticed today that fog-lights are on anytime the vehicle ignition is on in what appears a "low-power/illumination" mode. Flipping the switches to the fog-lights makes them go full-power/illumination. Headlight switch set to auto. Is this operating correctly as previous GEN2 Raptor the fog-lights only came on when aux-switch was flipped.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to ask whoever wired that up what they did. Some fogs have a "glow" feature when not "on". But fogs running when the truck is running should not affect your battery reserve capacity.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to ask whoever wired that up what they did. Some fogs have a "glow" feature when not "on". But fogs running when the truck is running should not affect your battery reserve capacity.
Yay.. I asked them.. all I got was wired to aux switch wiring as requested. Something is affecting battery... just trying to eliminate as much as possible before taking into shop.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the previous posts. Open up your hood and look and see where the fog wiring is wired up to. If they're wired up to Aux 2-4 you should see connections on the Green/Brown (Aux 2), Green/Blue (Aux 3) and Brown (Aux 4).

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm just going through this wiring today, putting on my triple light kit. You should use a test light or meter, flip on Aux (XX) and then see if you get a hot connection with it on and with it off.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Previous posted about batter issue/drain...

Noticed something trying to figuring out battery issue and not sure is this the norm? Had replaced OEM fog lights with DD fog-lights wired to aux switch 2-3-4, wiring done by 3rd party. Noticed today that fog-lights are on anytime the vehicle ignition is on in what appears a "low-power/illumination" mode. Flipping the switches to the fog-lights makes them go full-power/illumination. Headlight switch set to auto. Is this operating correctly as previous GEN2 Raptor the fog-lights only came on when aux-switch was flipped.
To @figure1a ’s point, if your fog lights have some type of amber or red backlight that’s been connected, then it’s normal for them to be on when you power up your truck…see attached pic of my fogs. My fogs are wired so that the amber backlights come on whenever I either approach the truck or stay on when I start the truck. When I flip upfitter #3, the amber backlight turns off & the full brights are on.

My headlight switch has nothing to do with my fogs, as should be the case with yours if they’re wire to upfitter switches. Check the operation of your lights, for example if they have a backlight or not. They should not be on any type of power illumination (low or high) while your truck is running & your switches being off…except for the backlight that will turn on as I explained above.

Attachments

• 06B1C71F-DF41-4F83-A2D4-C8541F1CD8CD.jpeg
    06B1C71F-DF41-4F83-A2D4-C8541F1CD8CD.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To @figure1a ’s point, if your fog lights have some type of amber or red backlight that’s been connected, then it’s normal for them to be on when you power up your truck…see attached pic of my fogs. My fogs are wired so that the amber backlights come on whenever I either approach the truck or stay on when I start the truck. When I flip upfitter #3, the amber backlight turns off & the full brights are on.

My headlight switch has nothing to do with my fogs, as should be the case with yours if they’re wire to upfitter switches. Check the operation of your lights, for example if they have a backlight or not. They should not be on any type of power illumination (low or high) while your truck is running & your switches being off…except for the backlight that will turn on as I explained above.
Thanks.. seeing similar. Didn't realize/know the DD had amber backlit and obviously never noticed before until attempting to figure out my battery issue. Previously truck had Baja Design and was either on or off.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.. seeing similar. Didn't realize/know the DD had amber backlit and obviously never noticed before until attempting to figure out my battery issue. Previously truck had Baja Design and was either on or off.
As was stated above, your lights seem to have a backlight feature. Each light will have 2 power wires, 1 going to upfitter switch wire for main on power and 1 is probably going to a ignition hot power source. Do they go off when trucks off? If so, it’s probably not affecting your battery.

Where’s the negative wires going for your lights? If it’s straight to the battery posts, that’s wrong per the ford manual and it probably affecting your battery management system. Been there, done that. Negative should go to frame grounding location. Reset BMS after moving connections.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was stated above, your lights seem to have a backlight feature. Each light will have 2 power wires, 1 going to upfitter switch wire for main on power and 1 is probably going to a ignition hot power source. Do they go off when trucks off? If so, it’s probably not affecting your battery.

Where’s the negative wires going for your lights? If it’s straight to the battery posts, that’s wrong per the ford manual and it probably affecting your battery management system. Been there, done that. Negative should go to frame grounding location. Reset BMS after moving connections.
Thanks... no wire(s) to battery posts. Need to get out there today/weekend and check for parasitic drain.