Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
What's up raptor enthusiasts! So I just Had my first "major" problem with my truck after 10 years.. Yesterday my battery Warning Light Came on. I tried replacing the battery hoping that would solve the issue, didn't help. In the mean time It also started making this weird whining noise whenever the battery light would pop up. I put the old battery back in bc I didn't want to ruin a brand new Optima Red Top (hopefully the new battery is still fine). Started to smell a weird burning electrical wire type smell as well. When I opened the hood I noticed pine cones stashed up in my engine compartment maybe from squirrels or other rodents. I have found pine cones under the hood before so there is a chance its unrelated but they could be chewing up the wires?
I know some will maybe say alternator and it could be, but I have a feeling its not. A week or two previously I did have a dead battery assuming it was my stereo and running lights were on while truck was off. (battery died pretty quickly, hence why I thought I needed a new battery), the alternator had charged the dead battery back up. maybe that was its last leg idk...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
I have an apt. to take it in to Capital Ford in Carson City but still is a lil ways out, feb 2nd.
This just started happening yesterday and I'm not driving the truck bc I don't want to damage it any further. Probably going to have to tow it to the dealership. Maybe put on 4-8 miles in total with the problems that started happening just to get home.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's very likely the alternator. That'll do everything you have described - did to me, to a T (Battery light, smell, sound). I replaced it and all was well. Easy enough to do in your driveway. Not a hard alternator to find - make sure you get the Raptor higher output one versus a normal F150.

Pull it out and get it tested. I'd try measuring the voltage with a multi-meter first.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you havent changed the serpentine belt yet, I would do that when you replace the alternator, sounds like the noise might be the bearings in the alternator (hopefully) and not an additional problem. I would also sprinkle some cayenne pepper under the hood to deter those rascals.

OP
OP
Milertimeraptor
Reaction score
If you havent changed the serpentine belt yet, I would do that when you replace the alternator, sounds like the noise might be the bearings in the alternator (hopefully) and not an additional problem. I would also sprinkle some cayenne pepper under the hood to deter those rascals.
good thinking but have already replaced belt not very long ago...
Cayenne pepper? lol sounds like a good idea kinda scared to jus throw some pepper in there tho any tips? is this truly a thing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milertimeraptor
Reaction score
It's very likely the alternator. That'll do everything you have described - did to me, to a T (Battery light, smell, sound). I replaced it and all was well. Easy enough to do in your driveway. Not a hard alternator to find - make sure you get the Raptor higher output one versus a normal F150.

Pull it out and get it tested. I'd try measuring the voltage with a multi-meter first.

Thank you! do you think wiring may have been messed up too in the process?
anybody have any good alternator recommendations? links?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
good thinking but have already replaced belt not very long ago...
Cayenne pepper? lol sounds like a good idea kinda scared to jus throw some pepper in there tho any tips? is this truly a thing?
Yes, you can also use a mixture of vinegar and garlic and spray it on the engine. I use vinegar to keep cats from pissing in my bushes and garden.

Squirrel natural repellents:
  • Hot pepper plants.
  • Cayenne pepper on the leaves of plants.
  • Peppermint essential oil on cotton balls in the garden.
  • Garlic and vinegar spray (hard surfaces)
  • Apple cider vinegar spray (hard surfaces)

OP
OP
Milertimeraptor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! do you think wiring may have been messed up too in the process?
anybody have any good alternator recommendations? links?
Not from the alternator going out, no. The rodents? Always possible.
An alternator crapping out can cause poor charging - killing (sometimes permanently) your battery. It can make noise and burning smells, cause belt issues, etc, depending on what is dying. Barring outside factors, I can't see it likely to mess up your wiring. It's a part that goes bad - they don't last forever. The stock one in my 2012 gave it up in 2019. Swap it out, and you should be good to go. Some places rebuild them too if you care to go that route.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think replacing your alternator should take care of your issue. On the wife’s mustang I thought the power steering pump was going out because of a whine that was worse when it was cold out. I swapped the PS fluid but the whine was still there. A couple of months later while driving a check electrical message came up and before I could get home the lights and radio turned off. I changed out the alternator with a Motorcraft replacement and everything was good and I also noticed the whine that I thought was coming from the PS was actually the alternator.

Mark