Is this engine totalled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happen when the engine was on idle, to warm up. Everything was fine and suddenly....
The oil is ok. No warning lights on.
Sad is that happens in Romania and no so much help here. Less then 4000 km on it. Here it is on youtube.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
sounds like the fuel system. it’s difficult tell by the video, how loud is it with the hood closed? it’s audible when the engine is completely fine, but not sure if this is really loud or just like I am used to hearing.

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound is really loud, you can hear even inside as video shows.
What should i do with the vastegate? How can i check if os that?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take the engine cover off. Its 2 10mm nuts if i remember correctly. Try to see where the noise is coming from. My guess would be VCT actuators.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the engine cover off. Its 2 10mm nuts if i remember correctly. Try to see where the noise is coming from.
Yeah. Tomorrow will do that. Is co.ing from left side of the engine. The sound is almost similar i hear on youtube about cam phaser, but this is even after warm up.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a wastegate rattle; that's a cyclic sound. Does the sound follow engine RPM, or does it stay the same regardless of engine speed? Does it only do it cold, warm, or both? If it's ambient temperature is cold the engine will run on Port Fuel injection instead of direct; this effectively dead-heads the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) which causes it to be louder.

BigJim

Reaction score
A old trick my father in law showed me to find the location of a noise is to take a piece of wood (like a broomstick) and hold it to your ear. Put it on different parts of the engine. It will be obvious when you find where the noise is coming from. I also know mechanics that have a stethoscope in their tool box. Kinda redneck, but it works.