Is this engine totalled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a wastegate rattle; that's a cyclic sound. Does the sound follow engine RPM, or does it stay the same regardless of engine speed? Does it only do it cold, warm, or both? If it's ambient temperature is cold the engine will run on Port Fuel injection instead of direct; this effectively dead-heads the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) which causes it to be louder.
Is following the rpm. No matter cold or hot. Tomorrow i will try to find a more exact location. But is from left side, suspecting is coming under the valve cover. But will remove the plastic cover and will check.
This is another friend of mine. My truck still perfect after 19.000 km. Hope will remain the same. I told my guys not to dream about TRX. The Raptor has feelings and will pay back with cam phasers and other thinks like that.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will explain now exactly what happen.
The guy start the engine and let it idle for 15-20 min until automatically stopped. After restart, almost immediately happen that noise. That noise was all day. He changed the oil but still the same. He sent me the video and i post for opinions and help.
Now this morning on engine start everything was normal. No more noise, no more problem. Is gone like never was. Interesting...
We can suspect the camphaser? Due to long idle the oil pressure was not enough and the camphaser get blocked in wrong position and in the morning with cold oil everything come back to normal? Interesting... self healing truck!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will explain now exactly what happen.
The guy start the engine and let it idle for 15-20 min until automatically stopped. After restart, almost immediately happen that noise. That noise was all day. He changed the oil but still the same. He sent me the video and i post for opinions and help.
Now this morning on engine start everything was normal. No more noise, no more problem. Is gone like never was. Interesting...
We can suspect the camphaser? Due to long idle the oil pressure was not enough and the camphaser get blocked in wrong position and in the morning with cold oil everything come back to normal? Interesting... self healing truck!

Doesn't sound like something that cam phasers do, I think @FordTechOne 's assumption is more likely.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the exact same noise my motor was making, I kept telling the service tech that it was doing this regardless of startup or running for awhile. Eventually I got a low oil pressure warning. Had the truck towed to the dealership where they verified that I was getting no oil pressure in the block. Fortunately I was still under the warranty by about 3k miles and ford replaced the long block at no cost to me.

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the exact same noise my motor was making, I kept telling the service tech that it was doing this regardless of startup or running for awhile. Eventually I got a low oil pressure warning. Had the truck towed to the dealership where they verified that I was getting no oil pressure in the block. Fortunately I was still under the warranty by about 3k miles and ford replaced the long block at no cost to me.
Yours was making this noise always. Ours is working perfect now. Like nothing never happen.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours was making this noise always. Ours is working perfect now. Like nothing never happen.

It didn't start out doing it. Ticking started happening around 45k miles. Once it started it it never stopped. Picked the truck up this past Tuesday after getting the new motor installed and it sounds perfect. I'm not sure why some of these motors do this and end up being replaced, not sure what specifically happens that causes the failure, but ford replaced it.

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Gen 1 Raptor with only 39k miles. It makes the same sound also. The service dept told me it wasn’t getting lubricated. They did their magic and the noise went away. Today the noise is back and now sometimes my truck dies at idle. Following the thread to see if any answers will come about.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Gen 1 Raptor with 39k miles. It makes the same sound also. The service dept told me it wasn’t getting lubricated. They did their magic and the noise went away. Today the noise is back and now sometimes my truck dies at idle. Following the thread to see if any answers will come about.
Welcome to the place. This is a different motor on this thread. It's the 3.5 ecoboost.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
@Szabo Mihaly , to me, this sounds like oil starvation and a sticking lifter. Did your buddy recently do an oil change and somehow drop the protective cover on the oil bottles into the crankcase? Maybe it is temporarily blocking the oil pump intake, then fell off after being turned off?