Is this a ticking sound normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

So upon cold starts, our 2020 Raptor makes this ticking sound. Probably as loud as the warning chimes (sorry I don't know exactly to compare it to) and was wondering if this is normal. I'm probably just being paranoid but better to check then to not. The vehicle is completely stock. I don't remember it having this noise when we got it new. @FordTechOne can you help with this at all?

Thanks!

Edit: after further research and numerous YouTube videos, I can say that the sound O believe is wastegate rattle

Attachments

• 20221009_101559~4.mp4
    13.1 MB
Last edited:

Snuggles

Reaction score
I can’t hear anything unusual, but these engines are known to develop cam phaser issues, which presents itself as a rattle on cold starts. It typically goes away once oil pressure builds.

The way to test this is:
- next time you are doing a cold start
- before starting the engine push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there while also pressing the brake pedal. Hold them there.
- Attempt to start the engine while still holding the pedals down. The engine should cranks but not start. Do this two times for about ten seconds each, then immediately start the engine as normal.

If there is no rattle when it starts this time then you likely have a cam phaser issue.

The turning over will build oil pressure, which actuates the cam phasers early.

Cam phasers can get so bad they no longer function and rattle constantly. But I’ve seen this test done on YouTube (while I was researching a turbo issue).

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t hear anything unusual, but these engines are known to develop cam phaser issues, which presents itself as a rattle on cold starts. It typically goes away once oil pressure builds.

The way to test this is:
- before starting the engine push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there while also pressing the brake pedal. Hold them there.
- Attempt to start the engine while still holding the pedals down. The engine should cranks but not start. Do this two times for about ten seconds each, then immediately start the engine as normal.

If there is no rattle when it starts this time then you likely have a cam phaser issue.

Cam phasers can get so bad they no longer function and rattle constantly. But I’ve seen this test done on YouTube (while I was researching a turbo issue).
Wouldn't that rev the engine? That is horrible on a cold engine.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score

The way to test this is:

This will also give you 30 extra lives. Pew pew