Is there something wrong with my ASS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, drove across town running errands. My ASS worked normally starting at the stoplight a mile from my house. The ASS menu showed two different messages. Engine on, Normal and Engine off. The exact same information as the little green A with the arrow going around it. If the only other thing it shows is when my ASS is disabled it will duplcate the little gray A arrow with the slash through it symbol. That's useful. Not. If that's all it ever shows then it's just filler to make the menu look populated. I'll be running up the interstate in a day or two and will watch it then. I did program one of my gauges to show voltage and I'll watch that too. Nothing was abnormal about the voltage while running across town just now.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found it. As @Antho and @smurfslayer said, it's under the trip menu. I'll watch it instead of the digital speedometer for a while. Thanks.
That’s what I do. There is an icon that lights up green when it activates but white with a line through it when it decides not to. That menu screen tells you why it decided not to.

mine often says it’s due to vehicle charging.

FL4x4

Reaction score
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
• You have removed your foot from the brake pedal.
• You press the accelerator pedal.
• You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
• The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
• Your vehicle is moving.
• The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
• Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
• The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
• You have exceeded the maximum engine off time.
• When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button with the engine automatically stopped.
• The front defroster is turned to the Max setting.
Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:
• You have increased the blower fan speed or changed the climate control temperature.
• You have an electrical accessory turned on or plugged in.
Note: You may notice that the climate seat fan fluctuates during an automatic restart.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s what I do. There is an icon that lights up green when it activates but white with a line through it when it decides not to. That menu screen tells you why it decided not to.

mine often says it’s due to vehicle charging.
Next highway trip we'll see. I've got a compressor coming in that I'll need to pick up in a few days. It just boggles my mind that I can drive 30 minutes at highway speed, get off the off ramp, stop at the light, and the little no ASS symbol pops up and the motor keeps running.

FL4x4

Reaction score
Auto-Start-Stop automatically enables every time you start your vehicle if:
• You do not press the Auto-Start-Stop button (not illuminated).
• Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) after you have initially started your vehicle.
• You have stopped your vehicle.
• Your foot is on the brake pedal.
• The driver door is closed.
• There is adequate brake vacuum.
• The interior compartment has cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
• The front windshield defroster is off.
• You have not turned the steering wheel rapidly or you do not have it at a sharp angle.
• The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.
• The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
• The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
• Elevation is below about 11,000 ft (3,350 m).
• Ambient temperature is moderate.
• The trailer is not connected.
• If you select Normal, Eco, Snow/Wet or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes. (if equipped).
• You are not in 4H or 4L.
• You have not selected Manual shift mode.
• Trail control is not active.
• You have not selected Tow haul, Sport, Sand, Mud/Rut or Baja modes. (if equipped).
Note: Note when in Sport mode it can be enabled by pressing the Auto-Start-Stop button.