Is there something wrong with my ASS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
• You have removed your foot from the brake pedal.
• You press the accelerator pedal.
• You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
• The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
• Your vehicle is moving.
• The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
• Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
• The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
• You have exceeded the maximum engine off time.
• When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button with the engine automatically stopped.
• The front defroster is turned to the Max setting.
Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:
• You have increased the blower fan speed or changed the climate control temperature.
• You have an electrical accessory turned on or plugged in.
Note: You may notice that the climate seat fan fluctuates during an automatic restart.
There is only one possibility from this list. I've eliminated everything else. The battery is not within optimal operating conditions. Which is exactly why it bothers me. I don't really care about my ASS, but I do care about my battery.

Edit to say same same with your other list.

FL4x4

Reaction score
The green Auto-Start-Stop indicator light on the instrument cluster will illuminate to indicate when the automatic engine stop occurs.

If the instrument cluster is equipped with a grey Auto-Start-Stop indicator light, it illuminates when automatic engine stop is not available due to one of the noted conditions not being met.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The green Auto-Start-Stop indicator light on the instrument cluster will illuminate to indicate when the automatic engine stop occurs.

If the instrument cluster is equipped with a grey Auto-Start-Stop indicator light, it illuminates when automatic engine stop is not available due to one of the noted conditions not being met.
The grey symbol is popping up. We'll see if the ASS monitor will tell me why.

FL4x4

Reaction score
The Ford Manual also says this about connecting Accessories ...

Electrical Accessory Installation

To make sure the battery management system works correctly, do not connect an electrical device ground connection directly to the battery negative post. This can cause inaccurate measurements of the battery condition and potential incorrect system operation.

Note: If you add electrical accessories or components to the vehicle, it may adversely affect battery performance and durability. This may also affect the performance of other electrical systems in the vehicle.

FL4x4

Reaction score
Here's what the Ford Manual says about the BMS:

Battery Management System (If Equipped)
The battery management system monitors battery conditions and takes actions to extend battery life. If excessive battery drain is detected, the system temporarily disables some electrical systems to protect the battery.

Systems [temporarily disabled] included are:
• Heated rear window.
• Heated seats.
• Climate control.
• Heated steering wheel.
• Audio unit.
• Navigation system.

A message may appear in the information displays to alert you that battery protection actions are active. These messages are only for notification that an action is taking place, and not intended to indicate an electrical problem or that the battery requires replacement.

After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.

Note: Prior to relearning the battery state of charge, the battery management system may temporarily disable some electrical systems.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.
That's every night.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would not recommend watching your ASS while you are driving!
+1.
How about while I'm tripping? :insane:
NO
when my ASS is disabled it will duplcate the little gray A arrow with the slash through it symbol
Do you have ink? That’s pretty extreme.
I don't really care about my ASS, but I do care about my battery.
wait, are we talking trucks here or ... something else?
That's every night.
and it’s every night?!

The images this thread conjures up are ... disturbing...

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I’m seeing someone actually talk about using the ASS while driving.
Prior to my Cobb tuner I would push the ASS button to disable it upon every startup.