Is there a way to get a Gen 2 out of Limp mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know If it is possible to get the Gen 2 out of Limp mode without going to a dealer?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Why would you want to do that without fixing the issue that made it go into limp mode? Disconnect the battery negative terminal for 20 min should do it.

802Avalanche

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was an infrequent, weird, or one-time event that caused condition, pulling off the road, shutting down, and restarting the truck has gotten me out of limp home mode.

OP
OP
Clockton

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small issue in Baja with no damage but triggered the impact sensors and had 10 codes from boost to turbo errors. Disconnecting the battery and pumping the breaks didn’t work. Having to make the trek to a dealer to get the truck reflashed is a terrible design.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
If you have a had held tuner I’m pretty sure you can clear them with that. Good luck hope the truck is ok.

802Avalanche

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small issue in Baja with no damage but triggered the impact sensors and had 10 codes from boost to turbo errors. Disconnecting the battery and pumping the breaks didn’t work. Having to make the trek to a dealer to get the truck reflashed is a terrible design.

Would love to hear the full story, but I'm not surprised. I have hear about guys getting shut down half way up a dune. Not cool.

I have resigned myself to never using adaptive cruise control again because of just this type of craziness. Attempted to override ACC with liberal application of the loud pedal, resulting in mass electronic nanny confusion, a first class drivetrain ***********, a CEL, and limp home mode. No thanks, ACC. I am the Captain now!

OP
OP
Clockton

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACC isn't related to an impact sensor going off. The stability nor the active track control which causes the issues in the dunes are related either. ODB can read/clear the codes but won't tell you why you have the codes nor can it reflash to reset the truck.

Anyone out there that knows of an on trail solution? Guessing this is an issue that can only be resolved at the dealer but seeing if there are smarter minds on FRF as this was a bit painful.

IMG_0616.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 9.26.38 AM.png

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When WHAT occurs? You still haven't told us what made it go into "limp mode." There's lots of reasons the truck would disable various systems or limit engine or trans performance depending on what you are talking about. High coolant temps, intake air temps, overboost codes, etc

Given the "triggered the impact sensors", I assume you slammed it into something so hard that the computers think it was in a wreck? No, Ford does not make it easy for you in that case.