GEN 1 Is the svt raptor still worth it in 2018?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoHerd2000

Reaction score
Interesting.
For some reason I thought it was all 5.4s for that first year.
Learn something new everyday.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
When I went to Raptor Assault in April ’17, they still had a Gen1 in the instructor fleet. It’s quite capable.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I think it is still the second best truck you can buy. If I did not get a gen 2 I would have a gen 1 for sure.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
I had a Gen 1 2010 6.2 bought it for 36K, some guy in Denver had it for 5 months n traded it in, it had 2K miles on it. I just happened to be at the dealership when he brought it in, I lowballed the dealer - out the door for 36K ttl. I put 130K on it and sold it for 30K. No complaints great truck. Everybody talking about lousy mileage - it just depends on the right foot. I consistently got 17.5 hwy & 16 city, but if you romp on it's down to 12-13.

Fodded_Cockpit

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely still a great buy. Just bought my second one, a '14 Screw with 84xxx miles. The first owner really took care of it and was in outstanding condition.
I was looking between the Subaru Ascent and another Raptor, I opted to get another Raptor and love it. Even if I had the money to afford the Gen 2, I would still choose a Gen 1 because of the V8 engine.
The Ascent is a great vehicle with all the bells and whistles, but it just doesn't have any personality.
TFL Truck did a comparison between a Gen 2 Raptor and a Subaru Outback in the snow, the Outback was OK, but struggled going uphill in the snow.Raptor outperformed the Outback in all the tests and was eager for more.
The resale value on this vehicle is awesome. Where I'm at, they still retail anywhere from $40k and up depending on the mileage and year (As of Dec. 23, 2018).
Tacoma also has a good resale value, but like another member here said, "they're not even in the same universe" in comparison nor do they have the personality as the Raptor does.
You just have to do some due-diligence when shopping to make sure you find a good condition one. These are sport vehicles after all.
Hope that helps.

99Venom

Reaction score
I just took a rented 2019 Tacoma TRD on a 1ooo+ mile journey for work. The tacoma drove really nice, and the color was awesome (kinda like the new magnetic). But it only got 14.9 to 15.5 mpg on the highway (74 mph with cruise set). Way less power and room than my 13 screw with close to the same gas milage. I will say that the taco got better milage around town and at speeds around 55 mph, but I couldn't wait to get back into my own truck. I also never looked back at the taco while walking in somewhere, and I look back every time with the Raptor. No experience with the new Ranger, but I will keep my large and obnoxious Gen 1. People only asked about the color with the taco, and nothing else. The Raptor draws much more attention and respect. In mho, the Raptor is also way more comfortable. I got assritus after about 6 hours in the taco, and I didn't get that on the same trip a year ago in the Raptor.

On a side note, I let my wife drive the taco when I returned it to the rental company. I asked her what she thought, and she simply said that I was for sale before the Raptor ever will be.

Fodded_Cockpit

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also want to add and this is just my personal opinion so please take no offense to those who own a Tacoma as it is a great truck; I feel like the Raptor is a grown man's truck and the Tacoma is young man's truck. Maybe it has something to do with the V8.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear the G1s are retaining their value so well. It will be many years before the G2s do that.

Off-topic but on-thread...
I'm amazed how bad the mileage on the Taco is, they are really small if you ever get inside one. They do not seem as small from the outside. The backseat is not acceptable for an adult (I am only 6 feet tall) if the ride is more than 20-30 minutes around town, and the people in the front seat will have an elbow war over what space is available on the console.

I'd expect MUCH better mileage from a small truck like the Taco, not the Tundra but the Raptor beats them both by a mile, and does so with substantially more power.

Bama Raptor

Reaction score
I just took a rented 2019 Tacoma TRD on a 1ooo+ mile journey for work. The tacoma drove really nice, and the color was awesome (kinda like the new magnetic). But it only got 14.9 to 15.5 mpg on the highway (74 mph with cruise set). Way less power and room than my 13 screw with close to the same gas milage. I will say that the taco got better milage around town and at speeds around 55 mph, but I couldn't wait to get back into my own truck. I also never looked back at the taco while walking in somewhere, and I look back every time with the Raptor. No experience with the new Ranger, but I will keep my large and obnoxious Gen 1. People only asked about the color with the taco, and nothing else. The Raptor draws much more attention and respect. In mho, the Raptor is also way more comfortable. I got assritus after about 6 hours in the taco, and I didn't get that on the same trip a year ago in the Raptor.

On a side note, I let my wife drive the taco when I returned it to the rental company. I asked her what she thought, and she simply said that I was for sale before the Raptor ever will be.
The cab of the Raptor feels bigger than my freshman dorm room. Took a day trip over the holidays with 3 in the back seat. Drove nearly all day without a single complaint and they all couldn't believe how roomy it was back there. I drove a 2018 Silverado CC for a bit last summer and even another full size truck cab doesn't compare. This is the type of truck you could drive across the country in. I look for any excuse to wheel people around now