Is the Raptor Well Suited for Snowplowing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same thoughts I had. What is driving the hydraulic pump?

Yes, exactly! When I plowed snow in MI with my F250, I had hydraulics and wiring running through my grille that I had to hook up every time I attached my plow. I do not see that in the pictures which leads me to believe this is a "Plow Poser" picture... :rolleyes:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same thoughts I had. What is driving the hydraulic pump?
Yes, exactly!

Uhhh- an electric motor, like all the other light duty trucks with plows?

Hence my earlier "you can't plow with an electric steering rack" comment. It's not the rack or the plow that is an issue, it's the total load on the electric system from both combined that can be too high. The new F150s that are outfitted with a plow package that has a HD alternator and can actually reduce the electric loads from the rest of the truck to allow the plow hydraulic motor and electric rack to function correctly at the same time.

You have to get into large HD trucks before PTOs are available to drive a hydraulic pump, at least until the last year or so. I think the newer Super Duties are coming with them now as an option.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uhhh- an electric motor, like all the other light duty trucks with plows?

Hence my earlier "you can't plow with an electric steering rack" comment. It's not the rack or the plow that is an issue, it's the total load on the electric system from both combined that can be too high. The new F150s that are outfitted with a plow package that has a HD alternator and can actually reduce the electric loads from the rest of the truck to allow the plow hydraulic motor and electric rack to function correctly at the same time.

You have to get into large HD trucks before PTOs are available to drive a hydraulic pump, at least until the last year or so. I think the newer Super Duties are coming with them now as an option.

You might be right as my info is from many years ago!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The hydraulic lines you hooked up likely ran back to an electric motor/hydraulic pump. The electric lines would have been for the lights I assume.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ok, only asked out of curiosity. Thought plows can get attached to those fat round tow hooks that stick out of bumper.

as for oil change on Grizzly. I thought the oil that drains would be like sludge. Friend told me it will be more like water. Is he right?
Just CHANGE THE OIL. It's been ten years for ***** sake. Warm it up first since it's probably like syrup in there.