Is the panoramic roof just asking for trouble?

Have you had issues with your panoramic roof?

• Yes, mine has had a problem or two

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Mine has been nothing but trouble and I wish it didn't have it

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • No problems, mine's been perfect!

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you go pound offroad you will have issue. Its straight forward

BINGO! Right on the money.

I intentionally special ordered my 2011 without a glass roof. This is a classic example of doing something because we can without considering whether we should. I read everything available about my GEN1 before I ordered it - Ford ad copy and technical releases, magazine articles, road tests, etc. As a result I understood the Raptor to be a purpose built high speed off road vehicle with the suspension to match and an engine specifically designed for it. That's why I bought it, and it's the finest vehicle of any kind that I've ever owned. As I considered the various option packages available at the time, it seemed to me that whether I was driving off or on the road I would spend very little time looking straight up through a glass roof. It also occurred to me that the amount of body flexing that an off-road vehicle was bound to experience might make a glass roof prone to leakage, rattles, and even breakage. As I lived in a hot climate at the time - the deep South - it also seemed to me that a glass roof would drive the cab temperature upward whether parked at work or driving. And so it seemed to me for these reasons that spending my hard earned money for a glass roof would be pretty damn stupid. So I didn't.

muddawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered all my with out. Prefer it that way. Not a fan. But then again being in NH it would seldom get used even if I had one

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll get opinions both ways here. My personal experience is with my 2016 F150 XLT with the panoramic moon roof. Was a 99% pavement vehicle, never off roaded. After about a year, the moon roof started rattling. It wasn't annoying enough for me to get it fixed under warranty, but it was still annoying.

If you plan to do any kind of serious off roading, I would go without the moon roof, if you can.

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the moonroof in mine, love it and it was one of the selling points of the truck. My truck has only been to the dunes 3 times so far though.

If you go pound offroad you will have issues. It's straight forward and the extended warranty will fix it. It's painful as its a multiday fix

Does yours have the moonroof, and what's broken on it so far?

OP
OP
D

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far, pretty much falls where I’d expect. If taking a truck with the panoramic roof means a better deal I’ll probably do it...I’ll just be sure to get the extended warranty this time

If I end up ordering one it definitely won’t haveit

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't enjoy mine as much without it. Really opens up the cabin, and with the sliding cover I can block the light if/when needed. That said, if I really was planning to hammer the truck with repeated high-speed off-road runs, AND was ordering one I could see the advantage of NOT having it. Got lucky and found one exactly (not close) the way I wanted it. But...I'm more an off-road crawler rather than racer, but having the added capability w/the suspension etc gives me a sense of not pushing things to the limit. So, I agree with the others, bottom line is based on how you'll use your rig the majority of the time, and what you're willing to accept on the downside, for the bennys of the upside of having it. For me, after comparing trucks with and without it, it was easily added to the 'must have' list.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
heh. like clockton on this one.

The first time the dealer says that they won't cover it under warranty, it is coming out and I'm having a non-sunroof roof panel put on the truck.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I’m in a 2017 and hit the button to open vent mode (about 6 weeks ago) and it sounded like a blender turned on. Dealer is replacing track system under warranty. They said ford has made an upgraded track system so this won’t happen again [emoji2369]

After this I plan to grease the rubber edging a bit to keep things from sticking and binding.

After all this I would still buy the sunroof option as it’s been really awesome to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a SCAB, so only a moon roof. I had a moon roof on a 16 Expedition as well and 3 twin panel roofs on an 07 MKX, 12 MKT and 17 Explorer. The only one with any issues was the MKT. Sometimes, it wouldn't open without pushing on the glass.