Is the Gen 2 an instant classic, styling wise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I do like the Gen2 exterior styling. Even now, 4 years on, the interior isn’t that dated. Each generation has it’s own styling cues, I think are largely shaped by the era of build. I don’t know that we’re going to see them selling like 60’s muscle cars a few years on, but I think it will depend a lot on whether Chevy decides to get serious about an off road truck or stay in their lane.

A low mileage, good condition example is going to command a higher price for sure. Except for maybe the short trucks :p

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gen 2 definitely looks better than the gen 3, but I don’t think either will be classics or iconic. They are the last hurrah, if you will, of the ICE. If it was some performance leader in every aspect, then maybe. I am not saying the TRX is the instant classic, but it does the things the Raptor does not. All depends what ya want.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Gen 1 & Gen 2 will end up like the Bronco Gen 1 and Gen 2 crowd. Gen 1 Rap is the dependable trendsetter and the Gen 2 Rap is the refined and improved sibling. Both will be future classics just because there's nothing else really like them and there's such a strong enthusiastic community around them.

Gen 3 on paper should be better and while I like a few things about it like the rear suspension I'm skeptical about all the software getting packed into these things and am not super wild on the looks. Definitely keeping my Gen 2 for life and hopefully as a cool hand-me-down vehicle.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gen 2 definitely looks better than the gen 3, but I don’t think either will be classics or iconic. They are the last hurrah, if you will, of the ICE. If it was some performance leader in every aspect, then maybe. I am not saying the TRX is the instant classic, but it does the things the Raptor does not. All depends what ya want.
True, but the TRX came out after the gen2. When the gen2 was current (2017-2020) it had more hp and torque than any other half ton truck on the market. Then came the 2021 TRX.

Last edited:

Hagasan41

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a Gen 2 owner and being as unbiased as possible, I think it’s the best looking Raptor. However, IMHO because the Gen 1 was a “first” in the truck industry it'll cement a spot in automotive history as a classic along with the Dodge Lil' Red, SRT-10, Chevy SS 454, Ford Lighting and dare I say maybe a couple of the Toyota's . The Gen 2 may secure a spot because it was the first TTV6 in a performance truck and represents progress. Time will tell...

Personallly, I'll always have a soft spot for the Gen 1 Raptor. Ironically, snapped this pic at Lowes today. Both of us parking way in the back away from errant shopping carts and door
dings!

!IMG_1072.JPG