Is the Gen 2 an instant classic, styling wise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
FYI, I plan on buying a Gen 3 when things calm down a bit with pricing, I have about 82k on mine it's days are numbered at my house. I am sure nothing new holds a candle to the Gen 3 as far as functionality and comfort with decent fuel economy. But, I saw one today, and it did nothing for me, barely looked like a Raptor until I got close.

Engine noises aside, the Gen 2 just looks better. Like it was chiseled out of block of whatever. Like Bob Seger says "and points all her own, sitting way up firm and high." The others look like they started with a Gen 2 and took a belt sander w/ 60 grit paper to all the fun lady parts.

As we head toward electric vehicles where everything will be shaped like a cucumber, the Gen 2 will be looked at as a design classic.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, I plan on buying a Gen 3 when things calm down a bit with pricing, I have about 82k on mine it's days are numbered at my house. I am sure nothing new holds a candle to the Gen 3 as far as functionality and comfort with decent fuel economy. But, I saw one today, and it did nothing for me, barely looked like a Raptor until I got close.

Engine noises aside, the Gen 2 just looks better. Like it was chiseled out of block of whatever. Like Bob Seger says "and points all her own, sitting way up firm and high." The others look like they started with a Gen 2 and took a belt sander w/ 60 grit paper to all the fun lady parts.

As we head toward electric vehicles where everything will be shaped like a cucumber, the Gen 2 will be looked at as a design classic.
Don't want to burst your bubble, but that other Raptor in your stable is the classic. (Gen 1's rule).

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno if I'd call it a 'Classic' per se, but I do agree I prefer the front over the Gen3s. And not too sure I'm a fan of the redesign of the dashboard, either. Some may disagree, different styles appeal to different tastes. The e-gauges just don't 'do' it for me, esp the tach. Really, idling is 0.7? How about making it 7, and then over 1k RPM goes into double digits i.e. 1850 RPM reads as 18.5 x 100 RPM? But I know the question is more directed towards body style.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are talking looks/style I agree. Gen 2 is still the best looking Raptor. I may be alone, but not a fan of the Gen 1s for any reason other than sound. Infotainment does mean a lot to me, but I will not be "upgrading" unless I mysteriously get into an R with a big sexy engine and ZERO markup. Otherwise my Gen 2 is going nowhere.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Gen 2 is the best looking Raptor. But the Gen 1 is going to be the collectible IMHO. Each Raptor gets slightly better with capabilities and tech. I don't care for the look of the Gen 3 as much, but it is the most capable of them.

It's entertaining to see the mall crawlers (in the Gen3 forum) comment "the Gen3 suspension is so much better than my Gen 2s. " it has less rattles." Hmm could it be you're moving from a vehicle with probably 30k+ on the suspension, to a brand new one?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Styling wise, they are all based on the F150. I mean the 2017-2020 Raptor looked like the 2015-2017 F150. From 2018-2020 the Raptor was kind of unique in a way as it had its own look compared to the 2018-2020 refreshed F150s. Who knows! I love the Gen2 style and I don’t think it will ever get old.