GEN 2 Is the CPO inspection and warranty a joke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Is the CPO inspection and warranty a joke? Or has anyone had these annoying issues and have good solves?

After buying a low mileage certified preowned truck last month, I almost immediately discovered a host of issues that didn't make themselves known on the test drive. But couldn't get a service appointment at any of the local dealers for a month. As the truck left the lot, it made the IWE grinding sound (realized it was that and not just a loose heat shield about a week later). Dealer fixed that check valve. But won't see if it'd caused damage to the hub, actuator or axle-shaft. Basically told me I have to wait for the hub to grenade before they'll look at it.

There's a vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal, especially at highway speed. I suspect it's related to damage caused by the IWE grinding the hub. Dealer blamed it on the KO2 tires and won't investigate further. I've had several sets of KO2 tires on other trucks and Jeeps and they don't cause steering wheel vibrations when balanced. I suppose I could eat the cost try getting it road force balanced elsewhere.

Then, it got cold and the sunroof rattles. It sounds like the rear seatbelt it rattling against the rear door. Dealer said they couldn't hear it. I've read that lubing and adjusting it could fix this. Another thing they could just do but won't.

There's also a high pitched squeak from the front end whenever driving slowly over rough streets. Dealer said they couldn't hear it.

I know there are all nit picky things. But the rattles and vibrations are not subtle hard to reproduce things. Taken together, they really make me think the thing is a piece of junk and I've made a huge mistake. I think I'm going to have to resell it or take it apart, fix the things myself and void the warranty.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it sounds like you have a found a disservice department.
There's a vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal, especially at highway speed. I suspect it's related to damage caused by the IWE grinding the hub. Dealer blamed it on the KO2 tires and won't investigate further.
stock wheels? Stock suspension? Has it been in a collision? I’m not aware of the IWE causing this kind of vibration, it actually does sound like wheel/tire. Miles on truck vs. miles on tires? IOW are they OEM tires or have they been replaced. 35’s and larger are notoriously hard to balance right.

Then, it got cold and the sunroof rattles. It sounds like the rear seatbelt it rattling against the rear door. Dealer said they couldn't hear it.
Fun fact: the seat belts actually do bounce up against the trim when not in use.
There are a host of youtube videos documenting moon roof rattles which may help you and fussing with the dealer on this issue may be quite frustrating. if you’re lucky they’ll replace the tracks and leave you (perfectly good) old tracks- it’s kind of the default moonroof action.
There's also a high pitched squeak from the front end whenever driving slowly over rough streets
Is this suspension noise; does it happen on compression/rebound or maybe at other times too? That, I think, could be an IWE symptom.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford's warranty is only as good as your dealer's ability and interest in fixing it. It's a flaw in the system. If your local dealer sucks and there aren't others close enough to be practical, you're SOL. You're assuming that there was an inspection just because they said so. My guess is that the typical inspection is a guy drives it off the truck and parks it. If it runs and nothing falls off, it passes. I'm sure that there are good dealers out there and I'm doing them a disservice, but it doesn't sound like yours is worth much. If there are a limited number of dealerships in your area I'd buy whichever brand has a good service department. A better vehicle that you can't get fixed is worse to own than an inferior vehicle that gets fixed when you need it.

If the KO2s aren't rotated frequently they cup on the inside front and cause vibration. That's just a characteristic of the Raptor. I'd inspect and rotate them. Hopefully that's it and the hubs are fine.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford's warranty is only as good as your dealer's ability and interest in fixing it. It's a flaw in the system. If your local dealer sucks and there aren't others close enough to be practical, you're SOL. You're assuming that there was an inspection just because they said so. My guess is that the typical inspection is a guy drives it off the truck and parks it. If it runs and nothing falls off, it passes. I'm sure that there are good dealers out there and I'm doing them a disservice, but it doesn't sound like yours is worth much. If there are a limited number of dealerships in your area I'd buy whichever brand has a good service department. A better vehicle that you can't get fixed is worse to own than an inferior vehicle that gets fixed when you need it.

If the KO2s aren't rotated frequently they cup on the inside front and cause vibration. That's just a characteristic of the Raptor. I'd inspect and rotate them. Hopefully that's it and the hubs are fine.

also to add to what you have said, I have driven mutiple Gen 2 Raptors before I bought mine and they all have road noise from the KOs that the Gen 1s don't seem to have. I am not sure if it is the weight of the engine being less or the tires being a lot lighter and softer rubber.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
also to add to what you have said, I have driven mutiple Gen 2 Raptors before I bought mine and they all have road noise from the KOs that the Gen 1s don't seem to have. I am not sure if it is the weight of the engine being less or the tires being a lot lighter and softer rubber.
Probably because the Jen Juan is much louder in the cabin than Jen Two.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s the dealer who certifies the vehicle as CPO. As long as it meets the year and mileage requirements, they can certify it. Even a clean CarFax doesn’t guarantee it wasn’t in an accident; if the prior owner paid out of pocket it doesn’t get reported.

Depending on whether it was “Blue” or “Gold” certified, there is either a 139 or 172 point inspection process. Both are very comprehensive and require test driving the vehicle. Based on the IWE and roof opening panel noises and tire vibration, it sounds like that didn’t happen. Both programs also require an oil & filter change, new wiper blades, a full tank of fuel, brake service if the pads are below 50%, and tire replacement if they have uneven wear or less than 5/32 tread depth remaining. Check all of those things.

A half a decade old used vehicle is going to have normal wear and tear and there may be a few issues that need to be resolved. For example, there is a TSB for the roof opening panel noise that only requires applying lubricant. Aside from the extended warranty, one of the reasons to pay extra for a CPO vehicle is because you shouldn’t have to deal with normal used vehicle issues, especially not upon delivery. I’d be asking to see the checklist they used during the inspection. If they didn’t properly do the inspection and service/replace the required items, I’d recommend reporting the dealer to Ford for violation of the CPO program requirements.