Is Premium gas worth it?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Nimrod, Dec 15, 2017.

1. M3sparky

M3sparky Full Access Member

LOL well sad.. I never cared for my mpg. It's smiles per gallon not miles for me

TK85 likes this.
  2. Edbert

Edbert Full Access Member

You can tune the engine to run just fine on 87 or 91 with no risk to internals or detonation/ping. There will be a loss of max power, and probably a little across the entire RPM range too. So if a little less power is worth the cost savings to you then do it, if you want full power without a tune then I think you should put 93 in there are FoMoCo says.

If you buy a tuner you can have your cake and eat it too. Load the 87 one for your daily commute in heavy traffic (if that is what you are doing with your raptor), then load up the 93 for the weekend at the offroad park or wherever you play. All you need to do is time the fillups :)

But if you have the stock tune I think running 87 can be dangerous unless you have the willpower to keep your right foot on the light side.

3. jzweedyk

jzweedyk Member

The best gas is the no ethanol premium gas. I found some in Colorado this summer. It increase my mileage in my Jeep by a couple of MPG, and it ran better.