Is Premium gas worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only idiots come to the conclusion the entire state doesn't dislike guns.

Nice stereotype.

I bet you are a toothless hick sitting on a porch of a double wide trailer, shotgun in hand... Dog tied on porch while you rock in your chair and spit dip into a rusty bucket.

That's how all us californians think of people in Tennessee. Bet you all have broken down trucks and appliances in your front yards too

No, I have all my teeth...just ask my wife/cousin!!!

FYI - I don't tie my dog so that he is able to run over to my neighbor's trailer and take a shit!

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I have all my teeth...just ask my wife/cousin!!!

FYI - I don't tie my dog so that he is able to run over to my neighbor's trailer and take a shit!

Right on - now that's one profession you likely don't see in Tennesee- Dentists

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on topic...

How many of you have actually driven your truck on 87? I did for about 3 months just to see what it would be like. My truck is my daily, and for that use, it’s fine on 87. It is definitely a little slower, but put it in Sports mode and it’s still fun. Slower than 91, but 90% of the time, there is no noticeable difference.

I have since gone to MPT tunes, so I must run 91, but the timing and boost has increased a lot, and the truck is significantly faster. Even when I drive it normally, it’s easily to exceed the posted speed limit without noticing.

If you are stock, and you use your truck as a daily, my opinion is that you can run 87 and it’s fine. 91 gives you a bit more, but to me, it’s probably not worth the increased cost. If you are tuned, it’s definitely worth the extra cost.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on topic...

How many of you have actually driven your truck on 87? I did for about 3 months just to see what it would be like. My truck is my daily, and for that use, it’s fine on 87. It is definitely a little slower, but put it in Sports mode and it’s still fun. Slower than 91, but 90% of the time, there is no noticeable difference.

I have since gone to MPT tunes, so I must run 91, but the timing and boost has increased a lot, and the truck is significantly faster. Even when I drive it normally, it’s easily to exceed the posted speed limit without noticing.

If you are stock, and you use your truck as a daily, my opinion is that you can run 87 and it’s fine. 91 gives you a bit more, but to me, it’s probably not worth the increased cost. If you are tuned, it’s definitely worth the extra cost.

Only 2500 miles on mine to date. I've tried both 87 and 91 and saw no measurable difference in mileage. I even tried both grades towing my boat (about 4500#'s). No measurable difference in economy there either. As for performance, couldn't tell you. Feels the same with either.

Frank L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the extra $6-7 per tank is not worth the damage lower octane can do to an engine over time. A cup of coffee can almost cost that these days.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the extra $6-7 per tank is not worth the damage lower octane can do to an engine over time. A cup of coffee can almost cost that these days.

I never understood the debate of paying a little extra for that "octane buffer" which can result in less knock and some additional timing the ECU will use. Even if it's not massively noticable... You spent how much on the truck again? And now you want to save $10-20 a month in gas? That kind of shit just blows my mind.

Plus, there's no way a single tank of 87 vs 91/93 will give you an immediate difference in power anyway. You drive it on 87 enough, the ECU learns and retards timing and long/short fuel trims and the computer sticks to that. When you drop 91/93 in it, the computer will still be using those same learned values because it didn't know you were being a high roller and putting the good stuff in. Then after a couple tank fulls, the ECU will start testing it's limits again and raising the amount of timing it can command at WOT and even part throttle eventually. That could take hundreds of miles to really notice the difference.

Last edited:

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 87 for awhile. Switched over the 93 last month. There is a noticable difference. It wasnt till the end of the first tank of 93 did I notice. The octane really shows on the highway in sportmode. On 87 it would kind of hesitate and work its way up. The full tank total miles till E appear to be more acturate as well. In the end its your truck and you can do whatever you want with it.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at any data logs from a Raptor, you will know how wrong you are.

If you log the truck after giving it enough time to "learn" you splurged and spent the extra $5 for premium gas... You would know how wrong YOU are.

I think the bigger question is - what can you do with all that saved cash ??? I mean, it could be a massive $100 a year in savings!!! Just think of everything you could buy with all that extra money by putting the cheap shit in your $70K raptor !

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you log the truck after giving it enough time to "learn" you splurged and spent the extra $5 for premium gas... You would know how wrong YOU are.

I think the bigger question is - what can you do with all that saved cash ??? I mean, it could be a massive $100 a year in savings!!! Just think of everything you could buy with all that extra money by putting the cheap shit in your $70K raptor !

I did log on my nGauge and see exactly what happens. I did this with stock tune, and all MPT tunes, on the same road. Did you? No? Talking out of your ass?

Read my post you ********. I ran 91 from the start, then as a test, ran 87 to see the difference. This wasn’t able saving money, it was about knowing what the stock Bosch ecu does and how it responds to knocks.