Is Premium gas worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nimrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAA did a study on whether premium fuel is worth it. The standard 3.6 turbo F150 sees a 5.0% increase in mpg and a 2.1% increase in hp. So if a Raptor had a 2.1% increase that would be a 9.45 increase in hp with the standard tune. I’m not sure what happens with the Raptor but the national average for premium fuel is about 22% more than the cost of regular so there is no cost savings. In fact it’s a loss but there is a hp gain. How much hp is hard to say because of the differing tune but perhaps someone with knowledge on tunes and stuff can weigh in.
http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Premium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat thought

But I don’t think about the cost of fuel.

AAA did a study on whether premium fuel is worth it. The standard 3.6 turbo F150 sees a 5.0% increase in mpg and a 2.1% increase in hp. So if a Raptor had a 2.1% increase that would be a 9.45 increase in hp with the standard tune. I’m not sure what happens with the Raptor but the national average for premium fuel is about 22% more than the cost of regular so there is no cost savings. In fact it’s a loss but there is a hp gain. How much hp is hard to say because of the differing tune but perhaps someone with knowledge on tunes and stuff can weigh in.
http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Premium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf

OP
OP
Nimrod

Nimrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sticking with premium just cause I’m old and back in the day you only ran the best you could get in a turbo’d or blown engine. It’s just useful info for peeps.

PS. I for sure think about fuel cost, it’s an easy way to save money.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re right.

I should qualify. I know with a 93 octane tune... my choices are well.... 93...

But if I wasn’t running a tune.... eh... maybe?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here's the deal - Ford tunes these things to run on premium, they get the HP and torque numbers on premium. There is a computer to detect knock, but it isn't always perfect or quick. Running on shit gas makes the knock sensors work overtime to pull timing and boost so the motor doesn't grenade. Sure it's doable, but WTF would you want to? I just will never understand people buying a premium product to put shit fuel in it.

OP
OP
Nimrod

Nimrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also own a Porsche 911 Turbo that requires premium gas, income is not a challenge. Being wise with finances is how one gets to be able to afford fun toys. I have always and will only run premium in anything that’s not naturally aspirated. It’s nice to se actual numbers though.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re right.

I should qualify. I know with a 93 octane tune... my choices are well.... 93...

But if I wasn’t running a tune.... eh... maybe?
Are you still running the stock 93 PRX tune sent out by MPT, or did you have them do some tweaking? If tweaked, what did you have them change?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Other than having them tweak it for the CAI wrench light... it’s a 93PRX version 2.... whatever that means....

I’ve been so happy with it.

Are you still running the stock 93 PRX tune sent out by MPT, or did you have them do some tweaking? If tweaked, what did you have them change?