Is KBB in Any Way Accurate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recall years back, when things were semi-normal, if you put your car into KBB and came up with a trade number, you were guaranteed it was at least 5k more than a dealer would give you.

As my Gen3 is built, finally, and barring unforeseen circumstances to be delivered in next couple of weeks, I'll be driving my fully optioned Gen2 (only thing missing i think are the decals), to the dealer down south to trade it in same day as I drive home the Gen3.

Mine is a leadfoot 2020 with 28k miles in good to very good condition. The difference on KBB is about 1k for condition.

It lists my Raptor trade-in value between 63-68k, with 66 being a good number. I'm expecting 65 and I'll be happy with that.

(On a side note, I put the VIN in Carvana and those f'in thieves offered 50k.)

As a reference point, my 2021 Cayenne GTS stickered for $127k and change. I paid $116k and change for it. This was during the pandemic but before the market went really nutso. It now has 8k miles. When it had 5 my dealer offered me $117k, which is the low end of what KBB shows its worth to be. It was ten months old when I asked the dealer what he would give me for it. I've now had it for about 14 months, have 8k miles, and KBB shows the exact same trade value. The manager of the dealership where I bought it and who made the above offer is a cool guy. I bought 3 Porsches there out of the 8 I've bought new since 2015. As I can't really find a replacement for it (like a Bronco Sasquatch without ridiculous ADM), I can't take advantage of the trade value, and I don't want to bother him to make another offer if I'm not in a position to take advantage of it.

I'm sure many here have gone on kbb for sh*ts and giggles. What say you? Do you think it's fairly accurate these days?

(and why on earth do I have to check watch thread and receive emails. it's a thread I started, of course I want to watch it.)

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re usually off for niche vehicles. The number you’re seeing looks right to me though.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check VRoom, they just offered me 50k For my 2018 with 801a And 64k miles
Vroom offered me $55K for my 2020 801A SCAB with 25K miles. I just checked KKB and according to KKB the trade value is $59K.
FWIW...I paid (invoice) $56K 2 years ago.

STHenry

Reaction score
I would check what Edmunds and see what that offer is as well. If you are looking to see what they might offer, you should also see what they are selling for and compare that with what KBB says a dealer will sell for and see if those numbers line up. Hope you enjoy the new truck.

BWorkman

Reaction score
You can also check out nadaguides. I know that carmax used them as a reference point when I sold them a car there a few years back.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB is irrelevant because they don't buy cars. They can say it's worth whatever they want and never suffer any consequences for being wrong. I could tell you it's worth $95k and it wouldn't matter if I wasn't willing to give that to you.

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB is based on a set of market snapshots and algorithms. Funny you asked, my wife did KBB on her 2020 X6M5.0. KBB said 98-105K trade in. She went to 2 dealers and they offered her in the low 70s. I would say KBB is only accurate when the market isn’t this volatile.