Is it my tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffola

Reaction score
I love my truck but I want to drive another. Moving slowly I find it to be a little "Choppy". I have had Jeeps and other trucks as well as two Gen 1 Raptors. I have a bunch or Fords, my work truck is a 2016 XL, 2 WD. it smoother.

Maybe its the 4WD, or the tires? But I find it to lack smoothness. My older Raptors and my older 4WD F-140 Lariats were smoother. After a year, I seem to think that theres something wrong. It being as limited, dealers may not have a clue if its right or wrong.

Thoughts......

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I love my truck but I want to drive another. Moving slowly I find it to be a little "Choppy". I have had Jeeps and other trucks as well as two Gen 1 Raptors. I have a bunch or Fords, my work truck is a 2016 XL, 2 WD. it smoother.

Maybe its the 4WD, or the tires? But I find it to lack smoothness. My older Raptors and my older 4WD F-140 Lariats were smoother. After a year, I seem to think that theres something wrong. It being as limited, dealers may not have a clue if its right or wrong.

Thoughts......

What do you mean by choppy? As in the back end skips around? Or something else?

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Big tires and soft suspension usually result in the choppy feeling. I get it a little too but it only happens on really bad highways.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gen 2 is as smooth or smoother than my gen 1 was. BFG had some balancing issues with some of their tires for this truck.

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Reaction score
So when I back in my driveway (Paver) or pull out, or most slow motions I can feel a less than smooth motion from the rolling. The acceleration is rather choppy as well.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
So when I back in my driveway (Paver) or pull out, or most slow motions I can feel a less than smooth motion from the rolling. The acceleration is rather choppy as well.

are you expecting to feel nothing but glass smooth ride quality?

I nicknamed my truck "the donkey" ( didnt want to rip off trophy burro or anything).

It makes a bunch of annoying noise and will kick when you drive it to 7/10 ( at least until i finish upgrading suspension).

That being said, i could give a shit about ride quality up my driveway :ROFLJest:.

On road it rides better than most other vehicles, but it certainly isnt a 2018 navigator ( which by the way is like driving a living room on wheels).

For reference, I'm also on load range D tires now. the ride was slightly better on the factory tires.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thought when I first picked it up last year. Suspension soaks up big bumps great but little imperfections in the road are a lot more noticeable I expected. I spent a lot of time in the first few weeks trying to figure out if that's normal (road force balance tires, coasting in neutral and trying different speeds over the same section, talking to the dealer, driving it back to back with a Raptor Assault truck, etc) and as far as I can tell it's just a "feature" of the suspension/tires/wheelbase.

At this point I don't really pay attention to it. It's predictable based on the road surface (same stretches of highway are always choppy) and there's nothing obviously wrong that makes me think it's unique to my truck.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While my Raptor was at the dealer for a month awaiting a new PCM, they put me in a very base model XLT initially and after the first week I requested a 4WD vehicle and they put me in a nicely equipped Expedition. For your average paved road, both were smoother than the Raptor.

Freeway driving, the Expedition felt like it handled like an F1 car compared to the Raptor.

For large bumps/off road, that's where the Raptor really shines.

Fun factor is also far greater in the Raptor