is it me or is the the B&O system not that impressive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanuckRaptor

Reaction score
I'm by no mean an audiophile, and I have an 18 with B&O. I've not heard the Sony system on the 2017 either. The feedback I saw was that the B&O was a much better improvement over the Sony on the 17 models

However, I do not feel the system is all that amazing. I came from Ram, and to me, their Alpine system sounds much better than the B&O, more clear and crisp, and deeper bass.

Unless I have not set the settings correctly, please share your experiences and feedbacks.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stereo power output is limited by auto start stop, so switching to B&O Play was never going to make a significant difference in bass.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stereo power output is limited by auto start stop, so switching to B&O Play was never going to make a significant difference in bass.

That doesn't make sense. The system turns the engine on when the battery hits a certain voltage, and doing things like putting it in sport mode disables it as well. It could easily be reprogrammed to do something similar if the audio system is pulling above a certain wattage.

There's also plenty of vehicles with start/stop that have better audio systems. It's just not that great of a system and I don't think it's because of start/stop.

It's also important to note, it's not really "B&O" it's B&O Play, which is a very entry level line from my understanding.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oem systems are all like that. some worse than others. ford puts restrictions in place that no matter who they contract for the sound, will always have to adhere to their guidlines. other car manufacturers have less restrictions allowing sound companies to produce a better sounding system. however all oem systems will be restricted at some point. ford is more worried about their sync system over their sound system, so the sound quality takes a backseat.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I've found, and I admit that it's stupid simple, is that adjusting the factory (Sony) setup off of the default settings (for bass, mid, and high) makes a HUGE difference in the way it sounds.

Until I did that, I was REALLY underwhelmed with it... and after making a couple of minor tweaks, it's acceptable to me. Don't get me wrong, no one is going to mistake it for a high end aftermarket setup, but it's at least tolerable now.

Perhaps the B&O setup is similar.

ss_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With some bass added the B&O is an excellent OEM system. One of the first mods in a car for me has always been to replace the stereo. I'm not touching this system for a while it sounds very nice. My JL stealth box handles all the bass now, the OEM bass has been turned all the way down. I've switched the sound mode to surround instead of stereo.

Last edited: