Is fuse 27 swap really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2011 has nearly 160 thousand miles on it. Was told about this and have only gotten as far as opening the box and seeing that there is still fuse in 27 spot.
Assuming it needs the fix after seeing it in there, but have to check it out closer now. Some of these stories sound pretty scary.
just pay me lots of money and i will fly out and do it for you. it would still probably be cheaper than a tow depending on where your truck dies.........

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have it on the list.
Gotta dig a little deeper and make sure that it has not already been done.
I got as far as seeing fuse 27 in place.
But, if I remember correctly, the whole row of "big box" fuses was full too.
Right now wondering if it had been done and just lil' 27 was left in place.
? ? ?
If I find out it has not been corrected, I will be getting on it.
Thanks everyone for letting me know how critical it is :)
Appreciate it !

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Closer look yesterday after replacing headlight connections...doesn't look like it has been fixed yet.
Gotta get it done now, on the list !

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
If you're into butts, sure you can use them but a cleaner better job maybe using soldered together then covered with shrink tubing would be my choice.
I have the heat shrinkable butt connectors that have solder in the middle, so it gets both. Used them on several projects, they work ok.

@Gumby did my Fuse-27, so I don't recall what we used for that. Mini-torch and solder, I think.

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half of the difficulty in this project, at least for me, was to gain the courage to cut a perfectly working wire with intent to “fix” it. In the end it’s a no brainer must do, but fixing something that isn’t broken always tends to go against the grain of my brain. I consider maintenance induced failures to be a serious issue in all things mechanical, especially when done by an amateur like myself.
Good luck, it’s easy!