Is fuse 27 swap really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my '14 SE with 136,288 miles and drove it from Dallas to Independence, La., about 515 miles, one stop for fuel, one more for lunch. No problems. The next day, while "testing it out" on 2 lane country highway, it cut out after accelerating to 85 mph. A large yellow wrench appeared on my screen. Oh CRAP. At that time, I'd never heard of fuse27. Fortunately I was only about 1/2 mile from home and off work that day. Thanks to this forum, and youtube videos, a $30 Amazon relocation kit, and maybe 45 minutes labor, all is well. Well worth the peace of mind. Had this happened on the way home from Dallas, it would have been costly and I would have gotten 8 hours of "I told you not to buy this truck!!!!" from my bride. I now carry extra fuses of all sorts and amps, and I don't let my wife ride with me.

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuse 27 relocation should be a high priority action on the owners list.
Find the time and do it....Set other priorities back a notch....This is a doable fix...Get a buddy to help if needed.

drj.raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went 7yrs and 67k with my 14 and no issues, it just got me this morning. I've had the kit in my garage for a year or so now just kept putting it off. No signs of the fuse burning till this morning when she wouldn't start.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, it's a scam, not needed at all.

However, good towing coverage and a cell phone is needed. Possibly throw in a good broken in pair of walking shoes.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I survived my oh **** moment on I-40 at 80 mph in traffic, got the wrench and a dead motor, I hope you're as lucky as I was. I put the lives of my wife and sister who were with me at the time in grave danger stranded in the center of a very busy interstate highway.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2011 has nearly 160 thousand miles on it. Was told about this and have only gotten as far as opening the box and seeing that there is still fuse in 27 spot.
Assuming it needs the fix after seeing it in there, but have to check it out closer now. Some of these stories sound pretty scary.

Allmarine

Reaction score
My 2011 has nearly 160 thousand miles on it. Was told about this and have only gotten as far as opening the box and seeing that there is still fuse in 27 spot.
Assuming it needs the fix after seeing it in there, but have to check it out closer now. Some of these stories sound pretty scary.
It is inevitable that the fuse wiring will melt. Do the mod now before you are left stranded and the fuse holder melts.