Is fuse 27 swap really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a tsb for it i believe. i took my truck in for service and they did it while it was there........ or started to do and forgot the other half.....

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
How can I identify if mine has been done

You open your Fuse box and if fuse 27 has a fuse in it than you need it done. If fuse 27 is empty then it was done. Also there is a sticker usually placed inside saying where it was moved to I think it’s normal fuse 70 IIRC.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered my kit. Will do it before winter sets in, haven't had an issue, but knowing my luck it will crap out in the middle of no-mans land without cell service.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Genuine question on this, but how the heck does Ford not have a recall on it and cover this ? Seems like a defect in their trucks...

Defects do not qualify for recalls. It has to be a safety thing. "Steering wheel falls off while driving" type stuff. Your fuel pump quitting will not cause you to fly off the road and die. Might lead to a tow at a horrible time- but you are not at risk of injury or death.

TrevsRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You open your Fuse box and if fuse 27 has a fuse in it than you need it done. If fuse 27 is empty then it was done. Also there is a sticker usually placed inside saying where it was moved to I think it’s normal fuse 70 IIRC.

thank you. My box says “fuse 70 - pump relay power”

I believe that means I’m already good

DTXraptor

Reaction score
To the OP's point, my 2012 is going on ten years. The truck was running fine, until it wasn't - just had the fuse go (while unloading brush at the dump, *great* place to get stuck :mad:). Replaced it with the extra 20A from the passenger side panel, cranked right back up and then ordered the relocation kit for peace of mind (I guess). I'll be installing as soon as it arrives.

Update Done, took 30 minutes with a flash light in my mouth. Put the borrowed 20A back in its place in the passenger side panel. Also, in the event I trade in or sell my Gen1, I wrote in the owners manual and drew on the diagram that the #Fuse27swap has been completed.

Also, as others have posted, thank goodness for this forum. I've read so much, learned from others nightmares/experience, and save tons of $$$. I've been a member for a few years (only took me 7 years of ownership to find this place...), but my dad was the one who found the Fuse27 issue as I was *ahem* using explicatives while broke down at the dump.

Last edited: