Is fuse 27 swap really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue is that the Battery Junction Box (BJB), which was made by Japanese supplier Yazaki, was not manufactured to the fuel pump draw specifications provided by Ford Engineering.

Yazaki was convinced that the issue was the fuel pump drawing excess current, so they flew an engineer out to inspect a vehicle that was exhibiting the issue. They found that the fuel pump amperage draw was well within spec, indicating the this issue was the robustness of their fuse terminals/circuitry causing excessive heat buildup.

As others have mentioned, long drives will cause the most heat buildup which can cause the issue to occur. If you only drive locally for relatively short distances, you’ll probably never have an issue.
mine did it 5 minutes after startup in wyoming. second time was 20 min highway driving. so while long drives might cause the issue to come to light faster, it can still happen anytime

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you all start responding, “just do it!”, please hear me out. I’ve had my truck for over 6 years now. I have known about the much reported fuse 27 issue for quite a while and even got the Ford kit but always managed to kick this can down the road. I closely monitor the status of this fuse and the surrounding block area. Nothing has ever appeared out of order.

Seriously folks, if my fuse hasn’t gone south yet, will it ever go at this point after all these years or will the majority say it’s just a matter of time before it goes? I’m not afraid to take on projects but quite frankly I’m not keen on partial disassembly and flipping of the fuse block to then cut, splice and solder wires. Farming this job out to a stranger is even less appealing. I’m also a member of the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” club.

I take exceptional care if my Raptor and even took it to a dealer to have the transmission reprogrammed even though I was experiencing zero issues. Having any chance that the trans would lock up at highway speed didn’t seem like a good idea so I took the necessary precaution. But this fuse 27 thing.....what really makes some fail and others not? If it’s gonna fail is there a median time frame? Honest opinions or experience will be greatly appreciated here.

If you don't do it, the oe fuse will blow, and possibly burn the wire at the most inconvenient time and place...ask me how I know

Allmarine

Reaction score
When it blows, and it will happen the fuse holder and surrounds will melt, making it a bigger job than it needs to be plus you will have a slightly melted fuse box where the #27 goes. Just do it your self or find someone to do it.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with ninjazzed. Original owner 2010, just passed 91K miles, no issues with the fuse, truck has been to Texas, FL, upper NY state, so I don’t think long trips are the issue. I have the kit, was about to install last month, then changed my mind. Leaning towards not installing it at this point.
Same here. I have the kit and 92k on my 10 Raptor and its a Seattle area truck. I called the Ford service here and they barely knew about it

banzai

Reaction score
Never had a problem with mine, but I bought the kit and relocated 27 anyway. It's a simple fix, committing the time to do it was the hardest part. It's easy to stuff it off when there is no problem, but if it does happen leaving you stranded, it can become a larger fix as others have said, plus a bigger inconvenience on your time. You'll be wishing you had just done it.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck was 4 years old and had 80k on it the first time it died entering an intersection.. Loads of fun gathering up a truck mid corner with no engine or power steering/brakes.. Truck fired right back up, got home and saw zero issues with the fuse!!
Chased everything under the sun looking for answers.. Week later I was at the motocross track, truck had been sitting for 4 hours, I auto started the truck while I loaded my bikes up and it died after running for 2 minutes. Discovered a very melted fuse 27. Thankfully the housing survived and I replaced fuse and got home. So it can happen without long drives or any indication of a problem. Did the relocation the next day

OP
OP
ninjazed

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I heard enough of you reporting high mileage failures so the “preventive maintenance” part of me is over ruling the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” part of me. I just wish we knew why some of these fail so soon and others last a long time before failure. I’m now committed to invading my fuse junction box for this repair but.....I wonder if there are some folks out there who never did the fix and are still ok. If so, why do some fail quickly and others don’t? This inquiring mind wants to know!