Is fuse 27 swap really necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you all start responding, “just do it!”, please hear me out. I’ve had my truck for over 6 years now. I have known about the much reported fuse 27 issue for quite a while and even got the Ford kit but always managed to kick this can down the road. I closely monitor the status of this fuse and the surrounding block area. Nothing has ever appeared out of order.

Seriously folks, if my fuse hasn’t gone south yet, will it ever go at this point after all these years or will the majority say it’s just a matter of time before it goes? I’m not afraid to take on projects but quite frankly I’m not keen on partial disassembly and flipping of the fuse block to then cut, splice and solder wires. Farming this job out to a stranger is even less appealing. I’m also a member of the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” club.

I take exceptional care if my Raptor and even took it to a dealer to have the transmission reprogrammed even though I was experiencing zero issues. Having any chance that the trans would lock up at highway speed didn’t seem like a good idea so I took the necessary precaution. But this fuse 27 thing.....what really makes some fail and others not? If it’s gonna fail is there a median time frame? Honest opinions or experience will be greatly appreciated here.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
If you only do short drives the fuse most likely won't develop the heat to start burning the fuse base but if you do long drives you most like will have the issue but why wait till your stranded when its a cheap and pretty easy fix. Peace of mind alone is worth it, if you keep an eye on it you must be thinking about it a lot!

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you all start responding, “just do it!”, please hear me out. I’ve had my truck for over 6 years now. I have known about the much reported fuse 27 issue for quite a while and even got the Ford kit but always managed to kick this can down the road. I closely monitor the status of this fuse and the surrounding block area. Nothing has ever appeared out of order.

Seriously folks, if my fuse hasn’t gone south yet, will it ever go at this point after all these years or will the majority say it’s just a matter of time before it goes? I’m not afraid to take on projects but quite frankly I’m not keen on partial disassembly and flipping of the fuse block to then cut, splice and solder wires. Farming this job out to a stranger is even less appealing. I’m also a member of the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” club.

I take exceptional care if my Raptor and even took it to a dealer to have the transmission reprogrammed even though I was experiencing zero issues. Having any chance that the trans would lock up at highway speed didn’t seem like a good idea so I took the necessary precaution. But this fuse 27 thing.....what really makes some fail and others not? If it’s gonna fail is there a median time frame? Honest opinions or experience will be greatly appreciated here.

I was thinking a lot like you until last year when out of the blue truck would not start. I knew about the fuse 27 issue and as a matter of fact I had purchased the relocate kit one week prior thinking I would do this one day. I think I jinxed myself cause when I checked fuse 27 it looked a little burnt on one end and when I tried to pull fuse 27 it came out in pieces. Away from home(tools) stranded no fuses so I looked in the owners manual for a non essential fuse to rob temporarily to get me going and sure enough there was a 15 amp fuse so I put it in slot 27 and the Raptor started and the fuse didn't pop, off I went.

Fast forward a year and I'm still running the 15 amp fuse, still have the relocate kit for when needed, bought more 15 & 20 amp fuses and replaced the one I robbed. I've had no further problems but I now know that I could be stranded at any moment and who knows I may be stranded right now as we speak so to speak.

ezndo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with ninjazzed. Original owner 2010, just passed 91K miles, no issues with the fuse, truck has been to Texas, FL, upper NY state, so I don’t think long trips are the issue. I have the kit, was about to install last month, then changed my mind. Leaning towards not installing it at this point.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

my 14 ran just fine until last year when i had this happen on our wyoming trail days event. lined up to lead the group out and the motor cuts out. funny thing about this though, is its marked under my hood that there is a new relay and fuse for the fix, however the fix never was performed. so like you, i went almost 6 years and 170k miles with no issues. at that time i replaced the fuse and continued on the event and forgot about it. a couple months later the girlfriend was driving the truck and it shut off on her. fuse went again. i put in another fuse and brought it back to the shop where i did my own fuse relocation bypass. so yes, even after all this time, you will still run the risk of it possibly happening. lucky for me, we had fuses the first time in wyoming. its a 20 min drive to town for parts. second time when the girlfriend had my truck it died in the middle of 2 freeways merging. not the best place to be stranded. so regardless of time, i think it should be done sooner rather than later, because if it does happen, who knows where you will be.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The issue is that the Battery Junction Box (BJB), which was made by Japanese supplier Yazaki, was not manufactured to the fuel pump draw specifications provided by Ford Engineering.

Yazaki was convinced that the issue was the fuel pump drawing excess current, so they flew an engineer out to inspect a vehicle that was exhibiting the issue. They found that the fuel pump amperage draw was well within spec, indicating the this issue was the robustness of their fuse terminals/circuitry causing excessive heat buildup.

As others have mentioned, long drives will cause the most heat buildup which can cause the issue to occur. If you only drive locally for relatively short distances, you’ll probably never have an issue.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bought my 2014 last year with 50K on it and was surprised the original owner didnt do it,since he was OCD and truck was MINT...I figured...its cheap insurance,and cheap so why even take a chance...cause you know its will go bad at the worst possible moment...Picked the kit up on Amazon,was going to do myself,but hate cutting wires..lol....my local shop did it for me,and total cost with kit was around $80.....its worth $80 just for piece of mind... :)

Marspool

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even if you have no skills what so ever, this Fuse 27 swap is simple if you follow the instructions.
Sure it works fine until it doesn’t....