Is Cobb TCM worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_Frost

Reaction score
L
i can tell ya what’s NOT worth it- getting a tune that DOESNT touch the TCM like the one cobb initially sold ya (especially a vehicle w/ a ******** 10 speed) if the truck is granny shifting & skipping gears, dropping the shift torque limits etc the extra power isn’t going to equate to nearly as significant improvement in real world performance/acceleration, hence why they never provided before/after 1/4 mile times

since you go ripped off by cobb initially if it were me instead of letting em rip ya off again by selling ya the other 1/2 a tune @ full tune price maybe try another vendor/tuner.....

livernois
MPT
Gearhead (very good in the trans tuning dept)
Livernois tune is laughable
MPT and gear head are the same price as Cobb for the same amount of tunes. Honestly after buying the nguage and custom tunes it’s the same. At least with Cobb there’s updates and you can download any of the tunes you want. The guys that do custom Cobb tunes produce more power

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hows the highway MPG at 1000-1200? Are you getting more or less then stock
I am running Cobb ECM/TCM stage 1 on 93 octane and dropped 1.1 mile per gallon average. Granted, I think I drive more aggressively now - it’s simply more fun to drive. I am currently averaging 15.1, mostly city.
Cobb TCM is really good, worth every cent. I would give up the ECM mod before the TCM mod.

Last edited:

BrttClne22

Reaction score
hows the highway MPG at 1000-1200? Are you getting more or less then stock
I'm running goosetuned stage 1 ecm and tcm. Gas mileage hasn't changed for highway driving. I get 14.8 before and after, granted I live in a pretty mountainous area say keeping the load down is pretty tough.

I think I saw a post from Cobb saying they leave cruising RPM range alone, most of the power extra power is made above that range.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans tuning is awesome. I agree with previous poster in saying I’d give up Engine tune before trans tune if I could only have one. I’ve used the OEM+ and now I’m using Sport and both are worlds better than stock. So far I like Sport the best. Thought it would be too aggressive but it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopElement

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprised this is even still a debate.

No other tuner has the experience or level of development that Cobb has. Sure there are some shops that can do tuning, but Cobb is the only one I'm confident has tested through enough scenarios and leaves plenty of safety even if it means not extracting every last bit of power at the expense of reliability.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cobb off the shelf was great and I never had any issues. I added the tcm after the fact (also great) because it wasn’t out when I purchased my Cobb stage 2 kit. I just recently went to a goosetune because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. If I did it again I would go with goosetune and TCM. My max boost went from 24 to 22 and the truck is just as quick. Who ever you choose get a custom tune if you can.

NM_Life_Defender

Reaction score
TL;DR - looking for firsthand accounts of reliability and dealer experiences with Cobb Stage 1 with TCM and Goosetuned Stage 1 with TCM. Thank you!

Not wanting to start a new thread, so I'll ask here...

I just purchased a 2019 CPO Raptor. Can't wait to pick it up this coming Thursday! I've driven a couple stock Raptors and am confident that I'm going to love this one in stock form; however, I may be looking for that little something extra in short order.

Can any of you provide firsthand info on your experiences with reliability of Cobb Stage 1 with TCM as well as Goosetuned Stage 1 with TCM? Along with this I'm interested in firsthand dealer experiences with these tunes.

Thank you!

dirtgod

Reaction score
Cobb here. Excellent upgrade to both reasonable safe power and in my case a much better tranny experience (my ‘17 was sketchy in that respect out of the factory). Lurching, hard and/or hanging shifts resolved with the Cobb. Also liked that it allows for the accelerator signal manipulation (not a power increase but rather helps with the sluggish pedal I had in stock form). No problems whatsoever. Have had a Cobb on my Porsche Turbo for years so expected the same excellent upgrade and it didn’t disappoint. My two cents.