GEN 2 Is additional skid plate armor worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has gotten or decided not to get additional skip plates to cover the rear end of the bottom of the truck. Contemplating it but wondering if anyone’s ever truly needed it.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen the other day Foutz Motorsports has additional skid plates for like $750, its probably something I'll be getting in the future. Not quite so sure how mandatory it is but peace of mind is priceless.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Foutz does make a bolt on skid plate for the rear diff....and I'm really thinking about it...I attend Raptor group runs and do Baja for the 1000, and plan on doing more so for my own piece of mind i'll most likely pull that trigger....How you use YOUR truck will help decide how much additional armor you might need...

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Foutz does make a bolt on skid plate for the rear diff....and I'm really thinking about it...I attend Raptor group runs and do Baja for the 1000, and plan on doing more so for my own piece of mind i'll most likely pull that trigger....How you use YOUR truck will help decide how much additional armor you might need...

I'm tellin ya, that dif skid is worth its weight in gold. Saved my truck from decimating the rear end about 80 miles south of Bay of LA. Rolled into the gas station in town, all the gear oil dumped out. The skid took the hit and the bolts had backed out but didn't strip. Torqued them, refilled it and away i went.

It bent down to the casting ribs and was up against the center section. It took the entire hit, as when we swapped in the currie, the rear end was completely fine.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm tellin ya, that dif skid is worth its weight in gold. Saved my truck from decimating the rear end about 80 miles south of Bay of LA. Rolled into the gas station in town, all the gear oil dumped out. The skid took the hit and the bolts had backed out but didn't strip. Torqued them, refilled it and away i went.
Long way to home for a broken diff....thanks for sharing.....sounds like a good purchase.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Skid plates are a must when off-roading.
Of course and our trucks have more then just about any truck out there...however Mr. Diff didn't get much love in that area so tohers make them.
Again it's if you need one or not, it's if your off road use is such that one really should be installed...and I'm now convinced for my usage it's needed....:)

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just recently purchased skid plates for the transmission and transfer case. I wanted to buy aluminum ones since I'm not going to be rubbing on the rocks much with my truck in addition to the weight savings. No one really makes aluminum skids for these trucks anymore. GEN2 has a bit more support though.

I'm still a bit baffled why ford didn't include some sort of skid for the transmission from the factory.