Is a basic k & n air filter worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
I was pokin around here and there and found that the standard replacement for the OEM air filter in a K & N can be had for like $40-$50 bucks on line. Is it worth the effort, the 2 minutes to install it? I am not the spend a lot on the OEM unit under the hood kinda guy. I am looking more for milage than power. Would this do anything for milage at all?
BDRAG

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pokin around here and there and found that the standard replacement for the OEM air filter in a K & N can be had for like $40-$50 bucks on line. Is it worth the effort, the 2 minutes to install it? I am not the spend a lot on the OEM unit under the hood kinda guy. I am looking more for milage than power. Would this do anything for milage at all?
BDRAG

Eh, you wont see much from it... Really hard to say that its been good for mine( I installed one a year ago... The plus side is that you never have to replace it just remove wash reoil and reinstall... Thats the only reason I installed one...

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
I've frequently used them when I couldn't find a CAI that I liked. At best, they're good for 2 or 3 horsepower. If there is a mileage gain, it will be insignificant... probably too small to accurately measure.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
what i'm looking to do is also replace the stock air intake tube from the MAF tube to the intake. I already have the K&N, and intake tubing shouldn't be too much. most of the restriction is in the intake tube not the filter so spend $80 instead of $350 and bingo you have a mostly stock air intake with little restriction.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
what i'm looking to do is also replace the stock air intake tube from the MAF tube to the intake. I already have the K&N, and intake tubing shouldn't be too much. most of the restriction is in the intake tube not the filter so spend $80 instead of $350 and bingo you have a mostly stock air intake with little restriction.

Where are the pics bubba?
BDRAG

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one on mine until I replaced it with the new CAI from Airaid (non oiled filter) last week. I did not notice any difference with the K&N.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. Without a tune/dyno, it's all subjective. But you can hear it when you get on it. The quality of the unit is outstanding. It seals against the hood with rubber seals. It also leverages the stock lower portion of the airbox. That plus a pre-filter pretty much offsets concerns over injestion....