Iphone 4.0 OS update (GM) renders SYNC system useless with Iphone for music playback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just updated my iPhone 3gs to 4.0 software.

Totally usless in the truck now. USB does nothing, will not charge, will not do anything. The first time I plugged it in it connected for a minute and then said "Device not compatable" Now its totally bricked.

Have not tested bluetooth out yet. But this is a major bummer I can't charge or do anything with the iphone in my truck.'

Pull the fuse for the sync system - turn the truck on. Then turn it off. Replace Fuse.

Others have had your same problem and this fixed it.

FYI, I had problems with my 2010 GT500 with Sync and my 2010 Raptor with Sync. I had my Iphone 4 (new hardware) paired wirelessly in both vehicles. The first time they were paired, nothing worked. After shutting down each vehicle ONCE after the first pairing, both vehicles worked fine with bluetooth pairing.

I know that is different than the USB debacle, but try pulling the fuse and see if that resolves the problem. It resets the module that controls/talks to the USB ports.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea I just found that online will try it after work. Thanks.

What is the latest Ford Sync software? mine says i'm on version 3.1

I believe 3.1 is the latest, publicly available version for the 3.x Sync system architecture.

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my Iphone 4 on June 23rd and have had no problems with it working with my sync. It seems to work just as good and my 3Gs did and it seems like my phone calls are louder.

KTMDirtFace

Reaction score
This is pretty rediculus, thanks for the info.

On another note even with iphone os 3.x.x I had issues with both my ford sync system and my Alpine ixa-w407 http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ixa-w407 (which is iPhone certified). Both of these would loose USB audio when the bluetooh connects.. So I had to either wait until the bluetooth connected and then plug it in with USB, or unplug/plug in after the Bluetooth hammered the USB connection. Oh also even before it would randomly not charge the phone even though it said it was. Now with 4.0 nothing works at all. (Have not tried it on the alpine yet).

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my Iphone 4 on June 23rd and have had no problems with it working with my sync. It seems to work just as good and my 3Gs did and it seems like my phone calls are louder.

I can also attest to the phone volume being louder when used with Sync in the truck and my car.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats cool so you don't have to turn the volume up full blast to hear anyone anymore?

Nope, and you want to know how I resolved that prior to Iphone 4?

Volume fix for pre-Iphone 4 OS and Sync telephone calls:

When you are talking on the phone with the Sync system, take a look at your iphone and turn up the volume on that.

It will increase the volume going to the sync system (so you can then attenuate your volume control on your radio and not have it full blast!)

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also noticed you can control the volume of music being streamed via bluetooth with the iphone 4. I never noticed that with my 3Gs.

KTMDirtFace

Reaction score
Ok really dumb question, where the heck is the fuse box inside the truck? It says in the manual its on the right side of the instrument panel, I cant find it. [ Nevermind found it, passenger side on the right by where their feet go.

Fuse trick worked. Ok so my iphone 3gs now works with 4.0 although it still has the ridiculous bug where the usb audio cuts out when the bluetooth auto connects, but at least it works as bad as it did before the update.