Iphone 4.0 OS update (GM) renders SYNC system useless with Iphone for music playback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Getting my reserved Iphone 4 tomorrow so I will update the group on my findings.

Also picked up a 64GB Ipad 3G and this thing is pretty damn cool.

Check your iPhone 4 for yellow discoloration on the screen in the form of a band or spot. It seems to be an issue that some new owners are experiencing.

I assume you heard that AT&T is doing away with the unlimited data plan but you can be grandfathered in to keep it if you currently have it. If you want to keep it I would suggest you drive that point home with whomever you may speak with concerning your contract when you pick up for phone.

Just some FYI.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yellow screen is not really an issue after further reading. Seems it's a finishing agent for the screen that needs to cure.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, the new IPHONE 4 with the IOS4 completely renders the entire relationship with sync as USELESS.

I paired my new Iphone 4 with my truck this morning and there is NO AUDIO at all when using the phone paired to Sync.

This REALLY sucks.

What year do we live in again? 2010? Is Bluetooth not an industry standard? (rhetorical)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weird. I can confirm that it "works" with a 3GS running iOS4.

I quote "works" because it will drop sporadically for minutes at a time (no sound but shows connected) then just as suddenly start working again (sound). Pause works, but forward and reverse still dont.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weird. I can confirm that it "works" with a 3GS running iOS4.

I quote "works" because it will drop sporadically for minutes at a time (no sound but shows connected) then just as suddenly start working again (sound). Pause works, but forward and reverse still dont.

I have a 3G with IOS4 that works fine too pairing with Sync and working as a phone thru the system. (music, not so good with IOS4)

Problem is this is the brand new Iphone 4 hardware that just came out that doesn't work. :mad:

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you're saying that you can't SYNC at all with the iPhone 4? No phones calls, etc.? That would definitely render 911-Assist useless.

I think some phones have changed to the 3.0 bluetooth standard (don't know about the iP4), but it should still be backwards compatible. Wonder if Ford is working on an update for the SYNC system.

I'll be buying a iP4 in the coming weeks...good to know.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you're saying that you can't SYNC at all with the iPhone 4? No phones calls, etc.? That would definitely render 911-Assist useless.

I think some phones have changed to the 3.0 bluetooth standard (don't know about the iP4), but it should still be backwards compatible. Wonder if Ford is working on an update for the SYNC system.

I'll be buying a iP4 in the coming weeks...good to know.

Yup, that is what I am saying.

Can't do **** with my new Iphone 4.0 hardware and 100k worth of brand new Ford rolling stock in my garage.

I'm reading all of this now

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=2435

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to try pulling the Sync system fuse in the truck to reset the entire system.

Some people seem to have success with restoring functionality by doing that.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I just read this (take it for what it's worth):

I have a 2010 Ford F150 Supercab with Nav and Sync. Got my iphone 4 yesterday in the mail. I synced it to my truck via Bluetooth and had the same trouble I have seen posted on the web. Everything worked but the phonebook was not uploading so I could not voice dial by name. My iphone 3GS had worked just fine. I found the trouble that has fixed the problem for me entirely. It is on the iphone itself.

Go to Settings, General, Bluetooth, and look under Devices for Sync. Touch the small circled arrow on the right end of the Sync box and you go to a screen that has some settings. Mine had Sync Contacts ON, Phone Favorites ON, and Phone Recents ON. But under that is a setting for "Other Groups" and there are two choices, "None or All Contacts". On my iphone the None box was checked and that was the trouble. I checked the All Contacts box and exited to the Home Screen. Then I started up my truck and let it Sync to the iPhone 4. The Phone book uploaded completely. Problem solved. I have been in and out of my truck maybe 10 plus times today and every time I start it the iphone syncs and uploads the phonebook and I can voice dial by name through Sync.