Iphone 4.0 OS update (GM) renders SYNC system useless with Iphone for music playback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Caveat Emptor.

I loaded the Apple IOS4 "golden master" on to my Iphone.

Before the update I was using the latest 3.x.x version and I could connect the phone to the Sync using USB and had full control of the Ipod built in to the Iphone.

Post 4.0 install, this no longer works at all.

Prior to the 4.0 updated I could stream Bluetooth audio from the Iphone to the Sync with limited controls.

Post 4.0 install, this no longer works at all.

Just a warning to all you guys and gals, IOS 4.0 for Iphone renders the Iphone completely unusable for music playback duty with our Ford Sync systems.

The telephony functionality continues to function fine.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh hell. NOT good. Guess I'll be holding off. Keep us updated please Tim.

(PS: Good to see ya bud.)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tim what version of Sync are you running? I just looked and noticed I'm on 3.01. There's a 3.1 up.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Tim (welcome "back")!

I personally don't mind as I don't use my iPhone for music (don't have complete control with steering wheel buttons and touchscren) as I use my iPod instead. It stays in the center console lid holder and is always charging. Best of both worlds for me :)

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the welcomes. Been busy buying all new appliances for our home and also working with 6 different HVAC contractors to get an estimate on completely replacing our furnace, AC and ductwork. Should be all done with that next week.

Anyway, back on topic.

Keep in mind that the Iphone OS I am using is pre-release and considered "Golden Master"

It is the latest developer release from Apple showcased at their WWDC show.

It's unknown whether the final release candidate will resolve some, all, or none of these issues. I can say that the 4.0 has made my Iphone interactions WORSE with Sync for music whether it's streaming or USB connected (neither work!) where as before streaming worked, control was limited and USB connectivity ALWAYS worked.

I've got the new Iphone 4.0 on reserve (luckily I was in the first batch of people so I get it on the 24th) so we will see if that fixes things. I'll have the 3G version and Iphone 4 so can test both.

I am currently using the most recent Sync version in both of my vehicles as of this writing.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that's good info to know nonetheless. My wife and I both use iPods in our Fords.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Getting my reserved Iphone 4 tomorrow so I will update the group on my findings.

Also picked up a 64GB Ipad 3G and this thing is pretty damn cool.