iPad used for GPS offroad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another mounting option...

If it works as advertised this looks to be a great way to go:

Apple iPad Holders & Mounts

ramb3161ap8iu1.jpg

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure something out for my Droid tab. I have downloaded a few map programs but the issue is cell service. Hanks for all the links...gives me something to do tonight!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure something out for my Droid tab. I have downloaded a few map programs but the issue is cell service. Hanks for all the links...gives me something to do tonight!

B look into Locus for Android. Hands down the best I've found. Online access is a non issue since you can download the maps you need for offline use. It takes all night to actually download them (server side limited) but its a one time deal.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMHO there's nothing that can match the iPad's form and ease of use. Apple has really nailed it with the iPad2, and everyone else is still playing catch up. And not doing a good job at it.

Having said that, you're going to pay for it. The iPad aint a bargain relatively speaking.

If a tablet was on the wish list and if budget wasn't an issue, I'd get an iPad without a second thought.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I have ever used an I pad or iPhone. I have an Acer tab and it's easier to use than my EVO.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using my iPdad 2 in the Raptor and I have downloaded the Motionx GPS app. I am going to use it over the next few months in hopes that it will work when we go on our Texas Raptor Run in April. I use a Ram mount that attaches to the passenger seat rail, works well. I'll keep you guys updated about the app and how well it works.

Tejas

Banned
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend GPS kit for ios users.

You can cache maps so there's no need for 3G or wifi.

Tracks speed, distance, elevation, etc. everything. Time stopped, time moving. It's awesome.

You can add pins, or markers on the map and leave a note attached to it with a picture. So let's say you are pre running a course. Boom there's a big hole? Snap a pic, mark it and off ya go.

It's only 9.99.
Ive used it a ton. Definitely worth a look.

-Sent from my iPhone

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which app are you suggesting?

I'd highly recommend GPS kit for ios users.

You can cache maps so there's no need for 3G or wifi.

Tracks speed, distance, elevation, etc. everything. Time stopped, time moving. It's awesome.

You can add pins, or markers on the map and leave a note attached to it with a picture. So let's say you are pre running a course. Boom there's a big hole? Snap a pic, mark it and off ya go.

It's only 9.99.
Ive used it a ton. Definitely worth a look.

-Sent from my iPhone