Interested, long commute

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northerner77

Reaction score
What’s up all, first post and potential owner. I have been looking to replace my 06 F150 FX4 crew cab. I thought I might switch to a F250/350 diesel but with the long commutes of roughly 100 miles per day, fuel/maintenance cost and the sheer size of that truck, I figured it would be best to stick to the F150.

I really like the look of the 2019 Raptor but wanted to get some feedback on how you all feel about commuting daily in this truck, round trip 100 miles. I really need a truck based on my hobbies, not a lot of towing, just need the bed for hauling. I am leaning toward the Raptor since I would like something a bit different than the vast amount of F150s I see daily. However, would that be a much better option (stick to run of the mill F150) based on my commute? Any high mileage guys that can ring in would be much appreciated. Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

let’s be honest, the Raptor is overkill for 99% of the buyers. That said, if you’re here asking questions, at least a significant part of you is badgering you “buy the Raptor”. I’m not going to try and talk you out of it. I’m not in a high mileage truck but I have found the Raptor to be extremely comfortable, long distance capable, and a generally fun drive.

keep in mind, the Raptor is not svelte, I think stock goes 76.5” tall, so barely fits in a 6’8” clearance garage, and is as wide as a super duty. I’d still do the Raptor buy over again, mine’s a ’17.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Raptor and I was in the same boat. So I bought a Raptor and a beater car, use the car mostly to do the commuting, the gas mileage , if that's important for you, will be the biggest issue. The Raptor is an awesome commuter and daily driver, but bad gas mileage, if that's important. I drive my Raptor 1-2 days a week to work , the others I use my car.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

OP
OP
N

northerner77

Reaction score
Thanks. My current F-150 is only getting about 13-14mpg, slight lift and 33in tires. I’m trying to reduce the amount of vehicles I have (3) and I really need to have a truck. My plan is to get a daily driver truck and buy a nice sports car down the road for the garage and only driver partial year due to Michigan weather.

Raptor would be the daily driver...

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much are you planning to put in the bed? A stock Raptor doesn't like a lot of weight in the bed, though there are aftermarket spring options such as Deaver HD or Icons with extra leaves.

I don't have many miles on mine, but I DD it and it's great for medium and long distance driving.

Spike Spiegel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 340 mile one way trip last month and it was really comfortable. raptor also has a huge gas tank, so I didn't have to stop and get gas.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is my DD. 34 miles to work, 34 miles home from work. 5 days a week. My commute is 15 miles interstate at 90mph, followed by 18 miles divided highway with mix of stoplights, bumper to bumper traffic, and 50mph max speed. 40-70 minutes each way depending on traffic.

This is my fist truck ever. 2 audi's , a volvo, a SHO, and 2 mustangs in the last 20 years have been my normal drives.

All that being said. I am 6 weeks into my Raptor ownership and it is working out great. Big truck makes people get out of my way. Power makes it seem like a smaller car. 550 mile range per tank makes fill ups once a week very easy. I stop when convenient for me, not for fear of running out of gas.

Been on 2 back to back 800 mile road trips already. Truck drives as good as any of mar cars did as far as comfort. set the cruise at 81mph and enjoy 17mpg.

Hope that helps.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

let’s be honest, the Raptor is overkill for 99% of the buyers. That said, if you’re here asking questions, at least a significant part of you is badgering you “buy the Raptor”. I’m not going to try and talk you out of it. I’m not in a high mileage truck but I have found the Raptor to be extremely comfortable, long distance capable, and a generally fun drive.

keep in mind, the Raptor is not svelte, I think stock goes 76.5” tall, so barely fits in a 6’8” clearance garage, and is as wide as a super duty. I’d still do the Raptor buy over again, mine’s a ’17.
Stock height is 78.5. I looked it up to see if the shark fin antenna made the 19 taller, but both 18 & 19 show 78.5.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Stock height is 78.5. I looked it up to see if the shark fin antenna made the 19 taller, but both 18 & 19 show 78.5.

You’re correct, my initial quote was short. she’s 6’6.5” tall at the cab, the radio antenna is taller. I know; NRA HQ range garage is listed at 6’8”. I measured the lowest points I could find and all were about 6’ 10” or taller to where I park. I measured every low point with a tape measure. RSO’s lent a hand, there are several lifted jeeps. let me tell you, it looked tighter than any starbucks drive thru.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly apples to apples, but I commute 150 miles a day, 75 miles between Carlsbad and Roswell. All 4-lane 70mph, typical (i.e. ******) New Mexico roads, couple stoplights around halfway in Artesia. Work truck is a '14 STX Supercab 5.0L just hit 180k miles, personal truck is '13 Supercrew Raptor 6.2L just shy of 163k miles. STX is stock with 34"-ish Cooper AT3's, Raptor has 315 KO2's. Drove my Raptor a few times to get tires, rebuild shocks in our shop, etc. Raptor is definitely more comfortable as the STX trim is pretty Spartan, but either one will get the job done on asphalt; both are smooth, quiet, and capable. STX gets a little under 19mpg, Raptor hovers at 13 (13.1 with a tailwind lol). Had the STX since new and only failure was water pump, that started making noise gradually for a few weeks until we replaced it; 10k service interval and besides engine oil, filter, and air filter the only maintenance I've done is spark plugs and rear diff fluid change at 150k. Had Raptor a year and a half now, got it at 152k miles, previous owner neglect/abuse/mileage led to changing all fluids (including coolant, brake fluid, transmission, etc.), spark plugs, battery, CPV, thermostat, upper & lower balljoints, inner & outer tie rod ends, brake pads & rotors, tires, windshield, whining steering pump, fuse 27, and aforementioned shock rebuilds; no complaints though I knew going in I would want to do most of it and I like working on it. Anyway STX has a 6.5' bed and is Supercab, Raptor has 5.5' bed and is Supercrew, so for rear-seat passengers the Supercrew is 1000% better, for hauling anything longer in the bed the STX is a little easier. I've taken both coyote hunting and when the pavement stops there is NO comparison, washboards get severely sketchy in the STX with any skinny pedal, the Raptor just floats through everything with style and aplomb. And heated/cooled seats :) Raptor begs to be driven hard and fast, not just "spirited" but balls-out, and it does it well pretty much anywhere, anytime. No regrets. Oh now my wife wants one...consider yourself warned ;)