GEN 2 Intercooler Problem? Advice Requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLandrJP

Reaction score
I’m on a long trip. Starting recently, when under throttle load and boost gets above 25% I hear a loud hissing sound. I have an ADD Intercooler. I had a shop check hoses and clamps...not sure if they did a good job. Guesses on what the issue might be? No check engine light, btw.

OP
OP
X

XLandrJP

Reaction score
Yes, I believe I have stock blow off valve...not sure, I bought the ADD Intercooler with their bumper, does that come with an aftermarket BOV. No stuttering. No CEL. 2020 Raptor, btw. Less than one year old. 21k miles.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a boost leak. If you can’t locate any issues visually, you may need to bring it to a shop that has a high pressure smoke machine to see where it’s leaking.

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with FordTechOne, definitely sounds like a boost leak. If the installer put in an aftermarket BOV, then it will vent boost to the outside and you'll clearly hear it. If not, you should hear it much less because it vents into the intake piping. As the owner, you really need to know what's in it. Crawl under it, drop the skid plate and check the hoses and clamps yourself. Make sure the clamps are tight and the hoses are where they need to be. Check the BOV, Also check the hose from the BOV up to the intake piping. Don't know who installed your bumper and IC, but that hose from the BOV in my opinion is pretty easy not to get locked in to where it needs to be. It need to be on all the way and the gray collar turned all the way clockwise. I would even go so far as to take it off and make sure the 0-rings are intact and where they need to be. There are a couple of Raptor IC installation u-tube videos floating around out there where the "installer" does exactly the wrong thing with the o-rings. My money would be on that hose.....

image.jpg

TrewRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing with the hoses, from the manufacture the hose are slick with lube likely from the molds at the manufacture. Make sure they are aligned and not partially off. First full throttle with mine blew a hose off. Scared the shit out of me but was and easy fix. I wiped them down with brake cleaner (non -chlorinated)