Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Intercooler or radiator first?

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by hedonist222, Feb 14, 2020.

1. hedonist222

hedonist222 Full Access Member

Considering really hot climates, like here in the UAE. Imagine a few weeks of 126 Fahrenheit and a few months of 105 to 115.

Which would you change out first:

Intercooler or radiator?

Or intercooler + thermostat & request folk over at mpt to turn on radiator fans at 176 f?

2. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 FRF Addict

Intercooler 100%. And yes, a thermostat. Not sure you even need a new radiator - I'd do the 170 and then see. No need to have fans turn on that soon - I think it is 185ish with the MPT 170 tune.

3. lawdog

lawdog Full Access Member

To preserve power, I would think intercooler...stock unit small, can see real gains with upgrade. I would wait on the radiator to see how temps are in actual use. Remember, intercooler is just cooling air from turbos to give a better/more dense charge, radiator cooling coolant for engine.

4. hedonist222

thanks guys

5. jabroni619

jabroni619 FRF Addict

Radiator is also cooling coolant for the turbos. The turbos on our trucks have both coolant and oil running through them.

6. zhengyucoo

zhengyucoo Member

Mine still runs hot around 220 with add rad 185 thermostat when cruising highway around 70 to 80 miles per hr.

7. Badgertits

Badgertits Full Access Member

Your geographical situation is absolutely one where I’d think VERY hard about sandwiching one of the bigger FMIC’s like COBB vs. a heavier duty stock location IC like CVF/whipple/mishimoto.

reason I say that is I feel the big ass FMICs impede the cooling ability of the radiator on the engine block. I don’t see how they couldn’t/wouldn’t.

I also agree that IC first & T-stat + tune to have fans come on earlier before worrying bout a radiator. Stock radiator probably fine it’s brand new- if it was a 10 year old truck living in a cold climate w/ road salt in winters OR a 10 year old truck living ocean side in warm or cold temps as the sea air and/or road salt will absolutely accelerate the oxidization/degradation in performance of the stock rad (as will General age & miles of use being pelted w/ road grime/water/bugs etc)

8. hedonist222

Thanks badger.
    For sake of discussion, wouldn't Ford have included a larger fmic if it were crucial?

9. hedonist222

Because for example, this morning on my 15 mile drive to work.
    The temperature outside was 62f.
    My radiator temp was between 212 f and 220f.

10. jabroni619

jabroni619 FRF Addict

Hot compared to what though? If we’re talking my 1998 Pontiac yeah that’s hot, but today’s cars all seem to run quite hot.