Intercooler install tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pandonsf

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that the Cobb Gen 2 intercooler fits on the Gen 3 without any modifications, I just installed mine tonight! I will however clarify that it appears that Cobb just recently started including the coupler needed to make it fit on a Gen 3! Mine came with an extra coupler, which at first I thought was weird, but after watching their install video I realized that it the extra coupler was to replace the one used for the Gen 2 and made it work with the Gen 3!
How was it pulling the front end apart? Have the intercooler sitting in my garage, but have been putting it off since seems like a pain taken the front end apart.

OP
OP
W

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, good work.

I was able to do my SVC IC without removing the bumper. Save me a bit of time and I still had plenty of room.

Bluu

Reaction score
How was it pulling the front end apart? Have the intercooler sitting in my garage, but have been putting it off since seems like a pain taken the front end apart.
The biggest pain was the wiring clips behind the bumper, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Keep in mind that you have to disconnect all of the parking sensors, fog lights, adaptive cruise control, etc...and thread it through the bumper to get it all out. It may be possible to disconnect the main disconnect and have the wiring stay with the bumper, but I did not do that. The main disconnect is on top of the passenger side frame, just above the bumper mount bolts. This will save a ton of time if it it's possible, and I will look more into it when it complete the install tomorrow.

The only other thing is, you should pull the bumper prior to pulling the grill, it makes it easier to get to the lower grill bolts (2 by the headlights), and the paint colored trim piece between the bumper the grill is pops loose from the fender sides (no bolts), only plastic clips that hold it in place.

Sucks figuring all of this stuff out yourself because the vendors sell the products without instructions!

pandonsf

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest pain was the wiring clips behind the bumper, otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Keep in mind that you have to disconnect all of the parking sensors, fog lights, adaptive cruise control, etc...and thread it through the bumper to get it all out. It may be possible to disconnect the main disconnect and have the wiring stay with the bumper, but I did not do that. The main disconnect is on top of the passenger side frame, just above the bumper mount bolts. This will save a ton of time if it it's possible, and I will look more into it when it complete the install tomorrow.

The only other thing is, you should pull the bumper prior to pulling the grill, it makes it easier to get to the lower grill bolts (2 by the headlights), and the paint colored trim piece between the bumper the grill is pops loose from the fender sides (no bolts), only plastic clips that hold it in place.

Sucks figuring all of this stuff out yourself because the vendors sell the products without instructions!
Thanks, yea not much instructions and never fun tearing into your new truck. Appreciate the info

Bluu

Reaction score
Thanks, yea not much instructions and never fun tearing into your new truck. Appreciate the info
Putting it back together I noticed that I did it the hard way, no need to take all of the connectors off, just need to unplug the master connector that I mentioned earlier, makes it much easier!

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_130229842.jpg
    PXL_20220820_130229842.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 142
  • PXL_20220820_142827663.jpg
    PXL_20220820_142827663.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 143
  • PXL_20220820_181447031.jpg
    PXL_20220820_181447031.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 143

MrTorque

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that the Cobb Gen 2 intercooler fits on the Gen 3 without any modifications, I just installed mine tonight! I will however clarify that it appears that Cobb just recently started including the coupler needed to make it fit on a Gen 3! Mine came with an extra coupler, which at first I thought was weird, but after watching their install video I realized that it the extra coupler was to replace the one used for the Gen 2 and made it work with the Gen 3!
Did you order straight from Cobb to get the new coupler? I'm torn between the SVC and Cobb and this was one of the reasons(didn't want to have to find a new coupler)

OP
OP
W

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you order straight from Cobb to get the new coupler? I'm torn between the SVC and Cobb and this was one of the reasons(didn't want to have to find a new coupler)
They should supply the correct coupling. I ordered SVC and they sent me the old piping but quickly resolved the problem.

Not a bit deal. Gen 2 is 2” and gen 3 is 3” piping.