Intake suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JReese33

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good cai for my 6.2 Raptor. I prefer a closed box type. So S&B and Volant are leading candidates. But having used both in the past I'm leaning towards the Volant due to the filter and box design. Is there something else out there that I should look at? Thank you all

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In have an AIRAID 401-272. It is what you would consider an open-top design, but they give you enough gasket material to make a pretty good seal with the hood on all four sides of the airbox. It is the dry, multi-layer filter, so no danger of gumming up the airflow sensor with filter oil. I have over 70k miles on the truck. No issues with the AIRAID intake at all. I'm quite satisfied.

A little hint: When you are working on your intake, take note of the shape and contours of the factory snorkel that sucks air from the inner fender into the airbox. It is a study in sharp angles and raw edges. A little clever work with a Dremel, hand file, and fine sandpaper will smooth the airflow into the airbox.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good cai for my 6.2 Raptor. I prefer a closed box type. So S&B and Volant are leading candidates. But having used both in the past I'm leaning towards the Volant due to the filter and box design. Is there something else out there that I should look at? Thank you all

Injen is another quality option, but not a fully sealed design.

Out of the two you listed, you really can't go wrong with either one. Please let me know if you'd like to explore pricing and options on either Volant or S&B and I'll be happy to help get you setup!

OP
OP
JReese33

JReese33

Reaction score
Injen is another quality option, but not a fully sealed design.

Out of the two you listed, you really can't go wrong with either one. Please let me know if you'd like to explore pricing and options on either Volant or S&B and I'll be happy to help get you setup!

Volant offers three different variations of their intake. I want one with the power core filter. But of the two that have it, one has a cold air scoop and appears to have a different lower box design. I live in utah, and as such, we get snow. So I'm not sure if the scoop would work. What do you suggest?

el guapo

Reaction score
New Raptor owner here, and just wondering why you wouldn't go with the Rousch intake since it's a Ford product?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Volant offers three different variations of their intake. I want one with the power core filter. But of the two that have it, one has a cold air scoop and appears to have a different lower box design. I live in utah, and as such, we get snow. So I'm not sure if the scoop would work. What do you suggest?

I always recommend going with closed box systems, especially since Gen 1 intakes that weren't closed had issues with water ingress. I'd recommend going for the closed box system, without the scoop, and the Powercore filter.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran the AIRAID for most of the 70K miles on my truck in northern Alabama. Despite 60 to 70 inches of rainfall per year and torrential thunderstorms, I had not a single instance of water ingress. My truck is and always has been my daily driver. Given that first-hand experience, I dispute Nick's statement.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I ran the AIRAID for most of the 70K miles on my truck in northern Alabama. Despite 60 to 70 inches of rainfall per year and torrential thunderstorms, I had not a single instance of water ingress. My truck is and always has been my daily driver. Given that first-hand experience, I dispute Nick's statement.

I've not personally seen the issues with Airaid system.

But I've seen it in person with multiple open style setups including: Roush, aFe Power, and K&N at various TRR events.

OP
OP
JReese33

JReese33

Reaction score
Roush, while offered by the factory, is still an outside company, like Shelby. But the reason I don't want to go that route is in my initial post. I want a closed box, not open

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I always recommend going with closed box systems, especially since Gen 1 intakes that weren't closed had issues with water ingress. I'd recommend going for the closed box system, without the scoop, and the Powercore filter.

Ok, thanks. Send me a pm with a price on the one without the additional scoop. Thanks.