Intake height and tell me if I'm dumb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I ended up buying a Banks intake for my 2013. I put some thought on some "Just incase" scenarios in my head before ordering anything as I'm sure everyone does. Back when I owned a JK I tried to make it as waterproof as possible because in the past I had a bad time with a water crossing.

Since I'm going to use my Raptor for camping and I'm pretty dumb when it comes to planning stuff I tend to run into situations I didn't want to run into, but I over prepare to make up for my short comings. So when it comes to water and my Raptor I can deal with changing heights of breathers, greasing electrical connections and changing fluids after camping trips. However I'd hate to hydrolock a motor in a shit spot. Also, I'll never put a snorkel on a truck.

Which brings me to my point of buying the banks intake. First off, I haven't had any power or MPG increases and I didn't but it for that, I bought it for the CARB number. There are probably way better intakes out there and I'm not saying to go buy one. I bought it for the off chance I get myself in water that my intake height is technically higher than stock. My reasoning behind this is even though it still pulls from the fender, if there was water at that height, it would pull more from the upper scoop than pulling vacuum on the fender intake and sucking water. I've made a very ****** paint drawing to convey what I'm talking about. I know it's only a few inches, but I've been screwed by less. Phrasing. Am I right to think that it would work the way I'm saying and trying to show in the art piece? or am I retarded?

Of course this applies to all intakes for these trucks that have air pulling from anywhere but just the fender.

dumbassdrawing.png

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not politically correct to call people Retarded anymore, so anyway: the water will still travel down the inside of the fender, regardless of what you do unless you cap it off. Doesn't your Banks intake seal to the inside of the hood using the original filter box, or am I thinking of a different make.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it like this design?

421239.jpg

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not an ark, Noah, and if you're in that much water...I'd say your prep and planning are way off.

OP
OP
kocher93

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not politically correct to call people Retarded anymore, so anyway: the water will still travel down the inside of the fender, regardless of what you do unless you cap it off. Doesn't your Banks intake seal to the inside of the hood using the original filter box, or am I thinking of a different make.

It's the one with the little scoop on top. I'm not saying to cap off the fender, but with more than one place to pull air from it wouldn't pull a vacuum on said water if it did get that high.

It's not an ark, Noah, and if you're in that much water...I'd say your prep and planning are way off.

I'm not out actively looking for water, I just want to give myself the best chance I can if something does happen

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's the one with the little scoop on top. I'm not saying to cap off the fender, but with more than one place to pull air from it wouldn't pull a vacuum on said water if it did get that high.

I'm not out actively looking for water, I just want to give myself the best chance I can if something does happen
You dont want your intake pulling in hot air from the engine, you want it pulling in cold air.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't pull hot air, it pulls air from in front of the cooling stack. Its reasonable that it would not pull water through the lower intake port if it has a fresh air source.

Ford rates the fording depth at 30" It's real simple, if the top of your rims are about to go below the waterline back up and find a different recreation spot. You should be getting out of the truck and wading any crossing your unfamiliar with anyway, there is no other way to be certain what's under the water.

If your recreational camping spot is going to cost you a Raptor maybe a Holiday Inn is a better vacation spot.

OP
OP
kocher93

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't pull hot air, it pulls air from in front of the cooling stack. Its reasonable that it would not pull water through the lower intake port if it has a fresh air source.

Ford rates the fording depth at 30" It's real simple, if the top of your rims are about to go below the waterline back up and find a different recreation spot. You should be getting out of the truck and wading any crossing your unfamiliar with anyway, there is no other way to be certain what's under the water.

If your recreational camping spot is going to cost you a Raptor maybe a Holiday Inn is a better vacation spot.

I just wanted to see if others thought that it wouldn't pull water, like you said it's a reasonable thought. A lot of trails I've been on including even something simple as mojave has had almost 40" of water depth.
Granted I'm not looking to turn my truck into a submarine. But I don't want to turn my ass around or go for a bypass if a couple mods can make it easier for me.
I'm more of a Four Seasons type of guy anyway

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
40" is a lot, you may end up with water intrusion in the cabin, I think that is above the air vents at the back of the cab, when those get below water line it will flood ricky tick. Its higher than the door seals are intended to cope with. Aside from destroying your interior and trapping water everywhere there are some electronics in the cabin that might not like water.

The BCM is in the passenger kickpanel, so it should be moved, you will also need to relocate the interior fuse box, it is definitely not water tight and is low in the cabin. not sure if it is intended for submersion. You should consider removing the carpet, its just going to hold water and get ruined, you will want in non power seats, they will just short out on your first crossing. Probably a good idea to drill at least a hand full of drain holes both in the floor boards front and rear and under the rockers.

You will likely need to remove the rear seat completely since it is just going to be a sponge, drill holes in the floor of the jack box for drainage, then go in and rust proof all those holes. Your going to have to figure out how to waterproof the APPS sensor. Probably best to roll without door panels since they will just hold water.

When your in the water don't under any circumstances let off the throttle pedal. You will fill the exhaust with water, let off the accelerator and you get reversion... you will hydrolock it from the exhaust side.

Last edited: