Insurance: What the Fr*ck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
[
  • Using new non-OEM, recycled, or OEM Surplus parts as described on the estimate ...
  • And we pay for those repairs ...
Thank you for proving my point. It has EVERYTHING to do with the body shop.

"Or OEM Surplus parts as described on the estimate"

If the bodyshop writes up the estimate with OEM parts...surplus or not, that is what get put on the car. Your body shop just has to have the stones and experience to fight for you. For the record...mine does.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Never even been pulled over, age 27 in Nevada.
27 is why you’re getting financially abused. Married? can you put in your wife’s name?
If you’re a veteran, then USAA is the answer. My premium is less than 1k annually on my Rap through them
Usually USAA is close, but once they opened up to the broader audience, their rates went up. They’re almost always in the top 3 for cost when I check but have only once ever been cheapest.
Be careful with state farm. i had them for years until they told me that non oem parts would be used to fix my wife’s car unless i paid the difference
see below.
THAT os on your body shop. My body shop won't use non OEM parts. A good body shop can back up why OEM is better. Many crappy shops or worse dealers are just in it for the labor and move. A good body shop takes pride in their work and won't let a customer drive a car not prepared properly.
100% correct. Been there with s/f. done that with s/f. Got the repair done, unsatisfactorily. body shop called and said to s/f “unacceptable outcome, ordering OEM parts”. did not pay extra. Of course, YMMV if your body shop and you aren’t willing to compel the satisfaction guarantee.
Or we'll see that the parts are repaired or replaced to your satisfaction — at no cost to you.**
see this quote, double asterisks be damned.
OEM surplus does not mean what you think it means.
Repaired to your satisfaction does mean what we all think it means.
Never, ever go to a shop that will use non OEM parts for repairs. Quality body shops make this an advertising point.

These shops are run and staffed by craftsmen; people who put the stuff back together, then mic everything with dial calipers to perfection. Their paint work isn’t just optically perfect, you can put it under a magnifier of your choice - some shops have huge magnifying glasses just for this purpose. IF you do manage to find a flaw, they won’t need to be told to fix it, they will fix it on their dime, their time - because again, these people are craftsmen who take pride in their work.

The use of non factory parts in body repairs is fraught with peril. They aren’t manufactured to the same quality specs and tolerances, they don’t result in the same fit and finish and ultimately, their name is on the repair bill, regardless of who reimbursed for it.

In some states, maybe this is more difficult. Let’s be honest here, auto insurance is a state sanctioned, private industry protection racket. It’s required by law pretty much everywhere, and “very gently” regulated. As much as I detest big government and new laws and regulations, auto insurance is one area I would love to see the heavy hand of government at all levels crack down on.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think when you go for many years with no claims, especially with the same company, they start to look at you as a higher risk just due to the odds. Jack up your premium, you change companies and they win. Just my $.02
No. If accidents and claims were random, this would still be wrong, the same way that the odds of a coin flip coming up heads is 50% no matter how many consecutive heads or tails have been flipped before. But accidents and claims are not random. Some people are better drivers. Some people live in better neighborhoods. Some people are in bed by nine with their vehicle in a garage. Insurance companies typically offer a discount for claim-free history. I know mine does. And if they screw up the math, they go out of business ....

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM surplus does not mean what you think it means.
Have had State Farm (auto/home/umbrella) for 20+ years with a few claims (mostly comprehensive, but one collission. Always done with OEM parts, never one hassle, and very affordable rates and good service. Helps our agent is very good.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have had State Farm (auto/home/umbrella) for 20+ years with a few claims (mostly comprehensive, but one collission. Always done with OEM parts, never one hassle, and very affordable rates and good service. Helps our agent is very good.
I'm glad everyone with state farm here is happy with them and they aren't trying to **** you over. I left because of this very issue - I brought it to MY body shop and their hands were tied, they wanted to use non oem replacement parts, I had to pay the difference and left. Just an FYI

I do still have them for home owners though, they have always been great with the 3 or so claims I've had in the last 30 years.

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
My rates with USAA are decent (don't remember what off the top of my head). Undoubtedly after over a decade with them I could find the same coverage for less. What I think I can't find elsewhere is the customer service and ease they provide. I have heard to many horror stories from other people and the other big companies out there. USAA keeps everything smooth sailing and for that I will pay the very slightly higher price any day. Plus, by the time you unbundle everything and your overall discounts go away is it worth changing (homeowners, personal property, umbrella, etc....)?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I brought it to MY body shop and their hands were tied, they wanted to use non oem replacement parts, I had to pay the difference and left. Just an FYI
A point of clarification; did you permit them to make the repair non-OEM and then assess? I did this the first time, and the body shop - again, these people look down on people who are just meticulous - called me and told me ‘hey, your hood is on, painted, etc. pretty sure what you’ll think, can you come down and take a look. I got there, he hands me the dial calipers. I already knew these guys took cars seriously, they had several show cars there for rest-o-mod, restoration, in various stages of completion.

I took a few measurements, and he stopped me and said ’this is the non OEM hood, I don’t like the fit to be honest with you and if I don’t like it, you probably won’t either. This doesn’t meet my business’s standards and I’d like to get the OEM part and replace.’ Deal.

Yeah, I had to wait, but decent body shop makes it happen. Their reputation depends on it.

Would you be satisfied if your 10 y.o. F350 was .020 off front to back on the hood alignment? Probably. On your Raptor?? likely not.

USAA keeps everything smooth sailing and for that I will pay the very slightly higher price any day. Plus, by the time you unbundle everything and your overall discounts go away is it worth changing

That’s a credible point.

I think if you’re 1) male 2) under 60 years old, 3) single 4) have non-platinum level credit 5) live in an urban shíthole or close to one, 6) have some colorful traffic history 7) have a high value or expensive to repair vehicle or any combination of these, you can benefit from annual shopping for vehicle insurance.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercury here, $654 per 6 months on mine. They also insure my wifes car and home.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insurance dictates where the parts come from. If you want something different then you'll have to pay the price difference. You can't expect the shop to consume those differences.