GEN 2 Instant fuel mileage gauge is acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hannibal

Reaction score
The instant fuel mileage gauge is jumping all over the place. Traveling down a flat road it will jump up and down. I have also lost 2mpg switching to toyo rts all tires at 35 psi. I wouldn’t think switching to a new tire in the stock size would lose me 2 mpg or cause the instant fuel mileage to jump around like it is. Any suggestions? Not really bitching about fuel mileage drop. stock BFGs were 4 pounds lighter per tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
When the tires were replaced did they disconnect the battery for any reason? (Silly question, I know) But I feel like when ECU learning resets (either a manually commanded reset like via a diagnostic tool or when the battery dies/is disconnected for a little bit) the MPG just bounces erratically everywhere. Then settles back out as the ECU/TCU "re-learns" your driving style.

OP
OP
H

Hannibal

Reaction score
When the tires were replaced did they disconnect the battery for any reason? (Silly question, I know) But I feel like when ECU learning resets (either a manually commanded reset like via a diagnostic tool or when the battery dies/is disconnected for a little bit) the MPG just bounces erratically everywhere. Then settles back out as the ECU/TCU "re-learns" your driving style.
That could be it I didn’t think about the computer reset. I took the truck in because of a P051d code (crank case pressure sensor). It turned out to be one of the pins wasn’t connecting and caused the issue. Replaced the pigtail and good as new; but he did a reset and clear the code. Still wouldn’t think that plus new tires would kill 2.3 mpg but she runs right so I can’t complain.

OP
OP
H

Hannibal

Reaction score
How accurate is the mileage ECU calculation?
I was getting 17.3/4 on my lie o meter and hand calc 17.1/2 most of it was highway driving between south Texas and North Dakota.