Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Instant fuel mileage gauge is acting weird

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Hannibal, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Member

The instant fuel mileage gauge is jumping all over the place. Traveling down a flat road it will jump up and down. I have also lost 2mpg switching to toyo rts all tires at 35 psi. I wouldn’t think switching to a new tire in the stock size would lose me 2 mpg or cause the instant fuel mileage to jump around like it is. Any suggestions? Not really bitching about fuel mileage drop. stock BFGs were 4 pounds lighter per tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo Full Access Member

When the tires were replaced did they disconnect the battery for any reason? (Silly question, I know) But I feel like when ECU learning resets (either a manually commanded reset like via a diagnostic tool or when the battery dies/is disconnected for a little bit) the MPG just bounces erratically everywhere. Then settles back out as the ECU/TCU "re-learns" your driving style.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Member

That could be it I didn’t think about the computer reset. I took the truck in because of a P051d code (crank case pressure sensor). It turned out to be one of the pins wasn’t connecting and caused the issue. Replaced the pigtail and good as new; but he did a reset and clear the code. Still wouldn’t think that plus new tires would kill 2.3 mpg but she runs right so I can’t complain.

4. Jughead

Jughead Member

How accurate is the mileage ECU calculation?

5. Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo Full Access Member

In my opinion not accurate at all. I will lose 40-50 "miles" per fill even though I'm constantly averaging better MPGs then the last fill...it's weird...I'm trying to find a way to just completely declutter it.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Member

I was getting 17.3/4 on my lie o meter and hand calc 17.1/2 most of it was highway driving between south Texas and North Dakota.