Installing Stinger sound deadener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tutorial on installing sound deadener in the Raptor. This definitely helps quiet down road noise and even more loud exhaust. You positively will not believe the difference it makes. I was skeptical and did just the back wall first and drove around for a few days and the "dead" sound behind me convinced me to do the doors. This is WELL worth the money and time to spend on it. Its completely different than before.

So, here are some pics to help you along if you decide to add some interior sound deadener. I chose the Stinger Roadkill Expert Damping Material. I used two types of the kit, the "door kit", and the "bulk pack." I only chose the Stinger because it was available locally at a stereo shop. After needing more (explained later), I got it from Amazon with second day shipping and finished it up.
Expect the door kit to run you about 36 bucks a kit, and expect the bulk kit to run you about 86 bucks a kit.

I sound deadened two areas, the rear wall, and all four doors on my 2014 SCREW. Below are pictures of both areas before and after. Following are a few of my do's and dont's.

DO:
1. Wear gloves !, you will curse the day you ignore me on this one. So initially I thought I was an incompetent baboon randomly cutting my fingertips with my razor knife. Nope, its the edges of the aluminum backer that is like a scalpel on your fingertips, and yes, you will bleed on everything. So either wear gloves, or have 4X4's and tape to wrap your fingers.
2. Buy the roller/knife combo kit Stinger sells (Available on Amazon). You WILL HAVE TO roll the edges of the deadener and also roll very hard all of the other areas to ensure it sticks to the metal, and other pieces if you overlap.
3. Mark your edges of the door panels with blue painters tape. Its really nice to just put a piece of painters tape on the hinge and striker sides of the black plastic door panels so when the panel is off you can see your lateral limits for applying the sound deadener.
4. Use your 600 dollar smart phone for something other than selfies and take pics of the before pictures so you know where everything is. Example, after removing the door panel take a pic of the stock plastic sheet. NOTE all the holes in the sheet that the door panel puts its little "hooks" thru, so you can cut the same holes in the deadener. Example, after taking off the stock plastic sheet take a pic of the door so you can remember where the electrical wires poke thru and screwholes that the door panel mount to. (Makes more sense later on in this)

DON'T
1. Dont skimp and just apply deadener over everything. Stop being a lazy *** and take a few more minutes to get a screwdriver and remove the electric slide window motor and cable from the back wall when you are doing the back wall. Also, take a few minutes to remove the electrical wires screwed to the doors when you do them. I didn't see a need to remove the speakers and just cut around them as I got to them.

So, back wall first:

Step one, fold the back seats down. There are numerous videos on YouTube on how to get them down. Basically, fold the seats up, it makes the upper seat tilt to give you room. Get a flashlight and something with a hook on it, or a loop of paracord, and there is a small lever you pull up on and it releases the seat, do this on both sides. Take note that the other end of the rod (see pic) moves up and down in the track. Make sure you realign it so the seat locks back when you are done. Strangely mine had a small yellow mark on the inside of it that I lined the rod back up in and my seat clicked the first time.

1pgvhg.jpg
[/IMG]
2qdwx1u.jpg

After you get the seats down, the carpet cover for the back wall is showing. On the top of the carpet are several of those plastic fasteners with the ridged posts on them and the flat tops, just pull them firmly out and with a little wiggling they eventually come out and can be reused. On the bottom there are a couple more. After you remove them, pull the carpet liner up and slide it out the door. It will have to be pulled in a bit on the bottom sides because they go under the vertical pillar panels.

I didn't take a pic of the bare wall, but YOU SHOULD to know where stuff goes back to. So get some tools and remove the window motor in the middle, three bolts, the three child seat straps at the top with one both each, pop the wiring connector off on the left. Thats all the disassembly you will have to do.

It took me the entire bulk pack to cover the back wall. I used about six sheets to do it. I used full sheets to cover the big areas then cut down to size other areas. Here is a good idea to do it. Before you put a sheet on lay it against the wall and decide basically where you want it. I used them lengthwise and make it terminate at the bottom exactly. Peel back the brown paper to expose a few inches of the sticky stuff, and start at the top. Let it stick up there and hang down and gravity helps you. Roll the top really hard and just continue down. Pull the brown paper off the back straight down as you go. Pull the paper, roll really hard into all the groves and ridges. Pull more paper and continue all the way to the bottom. Go back and smooth and roll even harder on all the spots. Its actually easy once you get started and over the apprehension that it will be a pain in the ass. Its not. When you are done all the major areas, cut the sheets into sized you need for the small stuff and try to overlap the big sheets. I can give you a hint: Do a two large sheets from the left and two from the right. That will cover the bulk of the sides of the wall. On the first two sheets cut out the spots for the flap vents, don't cover them up, they are there for a reason. Remember on the left side the little electrical connector, as you are laying the first sheet down from the top, make a little X hole with your knife there so you can pop the connector back in the wall. Don't forget to do the same for the three bolt holes for the electrical motor as you work to the middle.

Here is the result:

2e5imow.jpg2hn7xpt.jpg

After you are done, bolt back the window motor, the child safety restraints (Stop thinking you can skip this step. One day you will sell the truck and murphy says the next owner will have kids and you didn't help them), then put the electrical connection back in the little hole u made.

My next post will be the doors.

NOLA.

OP
OP
N

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doors

So, moving on to the doors.

Put a piece of painters tape on the edges of the inner, outer, and bottom edges of the black panel for reference.

To take off the doors, on the very bottom is two phillip screws, same size, take them out. Next look in the door handle area and where you put your hand to pull it closed. There is a tiny small square in there, use a tiny flathead screwdriver and pop it out. Inside is a bolt, take it out. Next is the biggest pain in the ass of the entire project, and its on all four doors. This is hard to describe and there are three or four YouTube videos that show how to get the little plastic panel inside of the door handle out. You need a hooked tool (I used a coat hanger doubled over into a hook) to reach inside of it and pop the panel out. There is a bolt in there to remove. Once you get this out, the door panel will just pull straight up, it actually comes off and goes on really easy, easier than I was expecting. So, in some videos you will see people removing the cable from the handle itself. Don't waste your time, the entire door handle part (You will see in my pic below) can easily be removed. Just reach inside the door panel and there are two clips holding the door handle to the door panel, push the clips in and the door handle pops INTO the door (towards you), once it does turn it slightly and push it inside the door. It will make more sense once you look at it and press on the little clips to remove it. Reach under the door switch panel and press in the latches to remove the electrical connectors….ok, yes, this is kinda a pain in the ass too, but not as bad as that panel clip to access the bolt. Don't get all flustered at this point because you are holding the door panel in one hand and trying to reach under and remove these clips with the other. They will come out, and its worth it for how quiet your truck will be.

Ok, once you get the door off, you will see this. TAKE A PIC of it.

2ic8z0g.jpg

Ok, notice all the cutouts for the door panel to hang on. Three on the very bottom, two up the left side, one in the middle near the metal bracket, one on the far right top. Those need to be cutout on the sound deadener. If you can't take a pic, or don't remember, use this plastic sheet as your guide. Lay it on the ground, GLUE SIDE UP, and look at it for the cutouts. Now get a tool and remove the metal bracket in the middle. After thats done, you get to play with some sticky glue. Start from the top, so gravity lets it hang, start pulling the plastic sheet from the door, it will have this sticky glue rope tape on it. Keep it on the plastic sheet !!! Don't leave it on the door, your sound deadener will cover it. After you peel it all off, lay the sheet on the ground, glue up. Its your template.

This is what you will see:

359wi2s.jpg

Remove the electrical connector in the middle, and the wires from the door skin right above the speaker. They are the same type of plastic connectors as the back wall. Just wiggle them and the pull out, and are reusable.

Using the painters tape as lateral edges use the same process as the back wall. Measure how long the sheet is and to make the bottom level. Next, pull a bit of brown paper off the back and stick the top portion on, roll it on, and work your way down. Do this slowly, every time you roll, lift up the sheet and look under it and figure out where the holes are for the door panel to be cut out. Once you have the general idea, roll it past that point, and stick your fingers into it, they will push in, that tells you where to make your hole, make it a square and just cut it out. Look at the door pic above, don't forget all the bolt clips in the middle of the door for the bracket, and the upper one from behind the plastic door handle panel you removed (and cursed). Lay your sheets and cut out the holes. If you look into the hole in the door skin, Ford actually put sound deadener on the exterior door skin at the factory! I also cut a sheet in half and put another sheet into the door, on the exterior skin before I covered the hole (second pic). As you get to the third sheet, just start from the top and let it hang. Cut your holes, and when you get to the speaker, let it hang and just cut as you go. Rolling then cutting. If you did the back wall first you will have the hang of it.

Drivers door :

2zhny3q.jpg

Sheet inside of door (But from passenger door):

16jfua1.jpg

Remember to cut a hole at the bottom, under the speaker for the wire to come out. Remember to leave a cutout for the door unlock rod to pop up, Remember to leave a cutout for the door handle cable to come out. Reattach the wire and relate to the metal door, but wait for the rest.

YESSSSSSSS, I realize in the first picture I put the metal bracket on. It was my first attempt. It actually does not get bolted on till after the factory plastic sheets is reapplied. See next pic.

t7xr92.jpg

Before attaching panel make sure the door lock pin moves, use the other door to lock unlock.

Next reattach door panel. First connect the wires back to the switches. Look inside the door panel first to visualize where they go, it will help you pop them in. Easier than removing. Also, you can balance the door panel on the bottom three latch holes if you want so you don't have to hold it, but you have to pull it back out before final instillation because all of the latches have to go in at one time. Reattach the door handle thru the panel, twist it, and clip it back in. Then put the door panel up to the door, as you lower it straight down and press it up against the door, make sure the door is unlocked so the pin is as tall as it can be and put the pin in first, then align the latches and push straight down on the door, and it will be on. Reattach the bolts and put the dammed handle panel back, and small square one in, two lower phillips screws at bottom of door, and ur done.

Check all ur switches and window all the way up and down and ur ready to move to passenger door. Rinse and repeat for it.

Rear doors are in next post.

NOLA

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

So the rear doors come off in basically the same way, but easier. No metal bracket in the center, and a upper pillar to pop off.

Mark the lateral edges and bottom with painters tape

Remove the phillips screws at the bottom, then pop the dammed plastic cover from inside the door handle and remove the bolt. At the top of the door, coming off the door panel is a vertical trim piece. Use a plastic pry tool and pop it right off, comes off easy, one screw at the top of the door panel to come off. Pull the door panel straight up and reach inside of it and remove the electrical connector for the window down switch, and then pop out the door handle just like the other doors, inner clips, rotate it and push it in. Up comes the door panel

You will see this :

nxp1js.jpg

Same as the other doors, Take a PIC of the plastic sheeting on the door to see the holes, remove it, keeping the glue on it, and lay it on the ground, glue up.

You will see this (Although this is the other side)

2bof9e.jpg

Same rules as the front doors, if you choose to add deadener inside the door (I did), add it now, then mock up the sheet to hang down. Start at the top, letting it hang, peel and roll. Roll hard. Cutting out the areas for the door panel ledges to come thru. Cut around the speaker.

Reattach the panel in the reverse order. You should be an expert by this point. The top vertical panel just pops back on. Line it up and hit it, it will clip in.

Now, you have a very much quieter truck.

NOLA

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

I have no idea why the pic of the sound deadener on the inside of the door came out upside down. Maybe mods can flip it, but you get the general idea.

NOLA

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why'd you put the platic sheets back on the door?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice writeup! One question why did you remove the fixtures from the door panel rather than just unplugging them?

OP
OP
N

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why'd you put the platic sheets back on the door?

Because its just another barrier between the road noise and the interior, and it was free :)

NOLA

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Nice writeup! One question why did you remove the fixtures from the door panel rather than just unplugging them?

Thanks, I just joined and figured I'd add it to the forum.

The only one I removed was the handle itself, I unplugged the rest. To release the cable from the handle is a pain in the ass, it takes literally five seconds to reach inside and press the two tabs and then just turn it sideways and it slides right inside the door. Its hard to explain, but there is prob a YouTube video for it. To release the cable from the door involves a lot more.

NOLA

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because its just another barrier between the road noise and the interior, and it was free :)

NOLA

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Thanks, I just joined and figured I'd add it to the forum.

The only one I removed was the handle itself, I unplugged the rest. To release the cable from the handle is a pain in the ass, it takes literally five seconds to reach inside and press the two tabs and then just turn it sideways and it slides right inside the door. Its hard to explain, but there is prob a YouTube video for it. To release the cable from the door involves a lot more.

NOLA

Just wondering, I did my doors a few months ago and didn't put the plastic back, didn't know if you knew of another reason that I didn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no reason to put the plastic back on. its just a water barrier between the door and cab. when you put the sound deadening on, it replaces it and is a barrier itself. i usually toss them when we do trucks for this

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I threw it all, got more coming tomorrow, pulled the back seats, trying to decide if I'm just doing the back wall or the floor as well.