Installing seat cover thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo Y'all. I saw a thread someone here posted a while back that was a real good step by step for installing replacement factory seat covers, but now I cant find it (Tried search already). I got the new bottom foam and a replacement heated seat thing From Tasca and even picked up some hogrings and the pliers for them. I got my seat covers from Richmond upholstery and they look dead on for a factory match. Now if someoe can point me to it, I'd appreciate it. That thred would make a good sticky for others in the same situation.
TIA

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the thread in the "How to's and FAQ" section (Duh). B E N did a nice write up for anyone else looking. Between Funkified's Youtube video and this thread, I should have no problems. FRFers always come through.

other365

Reaction score
I found the thread in the "How to's and FAQ" section (Duh). B E N did a nice write up for anyone else looking. Between Funkified's Youtube video and this thread, I should have no problems. FRFers always come through.
I've had the Richmond site bookmarked forever as an "eventually" purchase since I bought my truck with a nice tear pre-installed right next to the raptor embroidered logo. Super interested in pics/impressions when all you're all done!

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this past weekend I got off my a$$ and recovered my driver's seat. The cover was purchased from Richmond upholstery and I bought a new seat bottom foam and seat heater from Tasco. The video that Funkified posted above is a very helpful and made the job much easier.

As for the seat covers from Richmond, I have mixed reviews. The look is very close to OEM and the headrest does have the Raptor label sewn in, which I take to mean they are licensed by Ford to do it. The leather appears to be a bit thicker than the OEM cover, which is good and bad. I assume it will hold up for as long as I have the truck but the fit and finish is not as good as stock. Side by side in the truck,the new cover accent strips between the seat bottom and back are slightly different than stock, but only noticable when you look for it. The side bolsters had a lot of wrinkles that took a ton of steaming (more than I thought) to get them looking acceptable, same with the side panels. Another thing I didn't like was the guide sleeve for the side curtain air bag. The stock one was a fitted 1 piece sleeve type but Richmond uses a split sleeve with a velcro enclosure which was more of a pain than I thought it would be (minor quibble).

The Youtube video is from the Seat Shop, and IF I do my passenger seat in the future, I will probably use them instead of Richmond. You can cut out the panel with the "Raptor" logo and send it to them and they will sew it in to the new cover to keep the stock look if you want. I think they carry seat foam as well and theirs may be more comfortable than the stock foam I got from Tasco. The stock foam is not as comfortable as the seats on my 19 Lincoln MKC, but it is back to what it was before and may well break in over the months ahead.

I'm a retired heavy truck body and paint guy. At 1 time, I thought I wanted to learn upholstery since I've removed and installed my share of seats and upholstered interior truck panels. But I'm over it now, a benefit of retirement. By the time I was done, my hands looked like hamburger with all the sharp edges (nitrile gloves helped). Definitely a trade for younger people, but I'm glad I tried it. With more experience, I'm sure my results would be better.

gusser

Reaction score
Went to the seat shop website... I only found the driver's side seat foam available. No listing for 2011 Raptor covers. I'm guessing they don't offer them anymore.... Any other options besides Richmond?

:cheers: