Installing OEM leather seat covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of leather seat covers and want to be prepared for the install when they arrive. Do I need any specialty tools, hog rings, or other fasteners to install? Any input on this install is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 2018 SCREW

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hog ring pliers and hog rings. if you have some automotive picks they will help in getting the fabric seperated from each other and the seat. will need some sockets but im sure you have them already. a decent pair of cutters or needle nose to get the old hog rings off. its not a hard job, just takes some time

OP
OP
J

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'm just a little confused because I have read other posts and videos showing no hog rings just pushing in a plastic piece that retains the cover to the seat. I was hoping to get a consistent answer from others who have done this. I guess when I remove the first cover it will tell me everything I need to know.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@B E N just did his seats. i believe the first gen used hog rings. i have added heated seats to a lot of trucks and have always seen hog rings. i think in 2015 they swiched to the plastic clips, but dont quote me on that

OP
OP
J

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do stock oem leather seat covers come with plastic clips or do I need to buy them? Do they just snapped into the cushion?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hell, all this time i thought you had a gen 1. the gen 2 i believe has the plasic clips. the come with the seat covers. they are permanently attached to the seat covers