Installing exhaust system this weekend...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BiggerBrick

Reaction score
I will be putting downpipes and corsa extreme exhaust this weekend on my 2019 raptor. Do people find that anti-seize or penetrating oil of some sort are necessary for this? I have seen it mentioned in a couple videos, so I am wondering if I should get some...

Also, if anyone wants my stock system, shoot me a PM. I don't meet the 50 post requirement to post in the classifieds, but I would def prefer to give forum members a deal instead of posting on ebay or whatever.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m about 80% of the way though my downpipe install, and I can tell you difficulty will depend on whether or not you have to pull the turbo studs. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a way to get hold of them. The stud puller that came with SPD kept slipping, and the bit that goes on the end of the stud distorted and wouldn’t stay on. I finally used a #10 Craftsman bolt extractor, which took them right out.

The other rather painful part was getting the exhaust clamp between the downpipe and the mid-pipe loose. I’ve got about 20k, and it was crazy rusted. Whoever thought it was a good idea to face the nuts upward is a cruel individual. I finally got them loose beating on a socket wrench with a hammer.

Other than that it was just a lot of wrenching. I would be sure that you have a 22mm open ended wrench to get the O2 sensors out along with a good torque wrench when you start to reassemble.

OP
OP
B

BiggerBrick

Reaction score
I’m about 80% of the way though my downpipe install, and I can tell you difficulty will depend on whether or not you have to pull the turbo studs. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a way to get hold of them. The stud puller that came with SPD kept slipping, and the bit that goes on the end of the stud distorted and wouldn’t stay on. I finally used a #10 Craftsman bolt extractor, which took them right out.

The other rather painful part was getting the exhaust clamp between the downpipe and the mid-pipe loose. I’ve got about 20k, and it was crazy rusted. Whoever thought it was a good idea to face the nuts upward is a cruel individual. I finally got them loose beating on a socket wrench with a hammer.

Other than that it was just a lot of wrenching. I would be sure that you have a 22mm open ended wrench to get the O2 sensors out along with a good torque wrench when you start to reassemble.
Did you use a torch for the stud removal? And I am not looking forward to rusty bolts haha

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t feel like taking a torch to my truck was a particularly good idea. If you use a bolt remover the correct size beat on with a hammer and a sufficiently long break over handle, you probably won’t need heat.

OP
OP
B

BiggerBrick

Reaction score
Stock exhaust
First startup with SPD downpipes and corsa extreme exhaust

Got the exhaust done today. Overall, it wasn’t too difficult. I did pre-soak some stuff with Pb blaster as suggested above, and a buddy and me were able to knock this out in about 7-8 hr including lunch and plenty of conversation. The downpipes were definitely the most difficult and time consuming part, but it was nothing a small torch could fix (in terms of getting the studs out). Stud extractor tool worked great with some heat applied. The O2 sensors: we left the bottom ones in the pipes as we removed and just unplugged them. The top set we actually took out of the pipe before taking it out and then just inserted it in the new pipes once they were up. Just have to make sure you get the twisting right with the wires…but we just used an O2 sensor socket and wrench….no hammer needed. I’m fact, the guy who helped me (used to be the master tech at BMW and worked on all the M cars) strongly suggested not hitting those with a wrench. They came off fairly easily with a little elbow grease. That’s about it. The rest of it was just lining things up and tightening bolts!