GEN 2 Installed the Tesla-style Linkswell 12" touchscreen in the 2017 today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VLOCRPTR

Reaction score
I purchased the Linkswell from http://www.adcmobile.com and the guys there were great to deal with.

The deinstallation of the stock setup and removal of the 4" screen, DVD, Link setup, etc. took less than 10 minutes.

The instructions sort of suck -- the install pics on the ADC site helped a bit and then I just guessed on a couple of other parts :)

I'm having a bit of an issue with the Carplay "app" not recognizing my phone properly, still have to hookup the DVR camera that came with it but everything else works -- AC, radio, the nav they provided, etc.

Despite the fact that I generally detest Android, it's quite responsive, reasonably useful UX and I'm going to get the Sirius XM app and use it with my hotspot via Wifi in the truck (since you lose that capability along with the CD which I never used.)

The stock backup camera works with the system also.

All told, the whole thing took less than an hour, it fits perfectly and really works nicely.

Now my wife can stop needling me because of her display in her Tesla Model X as she used to roll her eyes at the 4" screen in the Raptor :)

IMG_5795.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

PBR ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn!!! What’s that cost? Any pics of it up and running with all the hvac controls etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PBR ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Have 19 on order this could be cool in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, it looks cool....

[Upcoming opinion is not a reflection of OP]
But this whole notion of replacing physical buttons with virtual representations that require you to take your eyes off the road is idiotic, and quite literally short lived.

Bigger screens are great, but only if tactile feedback for vehicle functionality is preserved.
[End non-OP opinion]

Definitely a cool mod though, and kudos to getting it working. I'd also like to see more photos.

OP
OP
VLOCRPTR

VLOCRPTR

Reaction score
I had a 4” screen that did basically nothing except radio for me which meant I was using my phone for navigation.

I don’t futz with the AC once I set it and so for me, the goals were simple: improve the AV that the truck came with (I bought it used) and add better navigation as well as CarPlay vs sync.

Oh, and make it look cooler.

Also, the notion this concept is short lived (unless you were referring to the driver) is not substantiated by the trends — hell the Tesla E has no knobs and my wife’s X is pretty close. We owned an S for 4 years before that and it didn’t produce any closer calls than other cars I own.

I think your concern is very subjective but I’m not someone who is particularly distracted while
Driving.

I didn’t take it personally but thanks for qualifying it up front :)

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the notion this concept is short lived (unless you were referring to the driver) is not substantiated by the trends — hell the Tesla E has no knobs and my wife’s X is pretty close. We owned an S for 4 years before that and it didn’t produce any closer calls than other cars I own.

I actually was taking a jab at driver longevity. ;-) Although I've noticed the trend in (successful -- I'm sorry, I can't take Tesla seriously until they can build a model three outside a tent in a parking lot) automotive companies going the other way. Let me qualify that statement: My wife's 2013 Explorer Limited was almost all touch everything. She got used to where everything was after awhile, but I didn't. When I drove it (sparingly), I found myself eyes off the road trying to adjust the temperature/fan/whatever often... It was all touch. That's just not safe, not matter how you slice it.

Her new 2017 Explorer Platinum replaced the touch panel buttons with *actual* buttons. Same location, same function, just... buttons. Ford got it.

The new hotness is bigger screens; But while it's tolerable to have my face glued to my new bigger phone screen in a meeting (my boss may disagree), the same absolutely does not apply to driving. I'm glad Ford didn't increase the size of their infotainment display with the 2017. Those new Rams do what Dodge does best: Knee jerk throw something into their truck they think consumers will spend more money on. It looks cool, and I'm sure Chrysler's marketing heads love it, but that 100" screen in the '19 Ram is a hard pass for me.

THAT BEING SAID (and I promise I'm done hijacking your thread now), for your needs as stated, that gigantic LCD looks awesome and is a great mod. I'm kind of jealous, but when I have my two young boys in their car seats behind me, I'll be just fine with my climate buttons.

Would love to see some more photos and if you come up with inventive ways to use it!