Installed my Baja Designs 30" S8 Grille Light Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faceoff4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the light bar and I love it. Its a nice plus to have the amber backlighting and the main lights are very bright. The wire harness gives you to option to hook them up to separate switches, which I did so I can have the backlighting on by itself when I want it. I had an awesome experience working with Nick from Apollo Optics, so if you get a chance to buy from him I would recommend it as he is a great guy and very honest. The instructions from Baja Design were borderline awful. Not only were they done in black and white but the example pics were of horrible quality. I am not the handiest, but I was able to do the install myself and worked without their instructions since they were so bad. Sorry my pics were not better, but the bar and lights look awesome. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4120.jpg
    IMG_4120.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_4113.jpg
    IMG_4113.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_4112.jpg
    IMG_4112.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4116.jpg
    IMG_4116.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_4119.jpg
    IMG_4119.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 260
D

Deleted member 12951

Are you throwing on three 10" amber covers or did you swap the lenses? Is it attaching to the grill? Pictures with the hood open?

Also Baja Designs is claiming only about a 10% reduction in light being behind the grill, can you confirm? On the GEN1's more light was lost.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the light bar and I love it. Its a nice plus to have the amber backlighting and the main lights are very bright. The wire harness gives you to option to hook them up to separate switches, which I did so I can have the backlighting on by itself when I want it. I had an awesome experience working with Nick from Apollo Optics, so if you get a chance to buy from him I would recommend it as he is a great guy and very honest. The instructions from Baja Design were borderline awful. Not only were they done in black and white but the example pics were of horrible quality. I am not the handiest, but I was able to do the install myself and worked without their instructions since they were so bad. Sorry my pics were not better, but the bar and lights look awesome. Thanks!

Thank You for posting up. Glad you are loving the light! We appreciate the feedback on instructions. We will make sure these get updated and allow an easier install.

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Also Baja Designs is claiming only about a 10% reduction in light being behind the grill, can you confirm? On the GEN1's more light was lost.

We can't say exactly what percentage of light is lost. Our guess would be around 10% but haven't confirmed an exact number. You lose less light output than the previous generation.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good!!

65019F79-E4F2-4C7F-BC3D-29B9713AF42B_zps3gcylw5g.jpg

5A7AEE0C-73E2-41A1-9CD5-1063CB84D3CE_zpszpasn3kk.jpg

The mesh in the gen2 grill is finer/thinner than gen1, so would figure less light loss compared to previous. At same time, their hex openings vs more symmetric rectangles... so good alignment may help.

OP
OP
F

faceoff4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you throwing on three 10" amber covers or did you swap the lenses? Is it attaching to the grill? Pictures with the hood open?

Nope no amber covers on it at all, this is how the bar is designed. It came this way with the amber lighting feature. I didnt feel like I lost much light with it behind the grille and if I did it might be 10%, but cant believe much more. It is attached the the grille with brackets and fits very well. I would definitely recommend it.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Thank You for posting up. Glad you are loving the light! We appreciate the feedback on instructions. We will make sure these get updated and allow an easier install.

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

We can't say exactly what percentage of light is lost. Our guess would be around 10% but haven't confirmed an exact number. You lose less light output than the previous generation.

Thank you Bailey and I love the light bar. Great work on it and as I mentioned in my reply on the light loss, I dont feel it was that much that is lost and 10% seems like the most it would be. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 12951

Nope no amber covers on it at all, this is how the bar is designed. It came this way with the amber lighting feature. I didnt feel like I lost much light with it behind the grille and if I did it might be 10%, but cant believe much more. It is attached the the grille with brackets and fits very well. I would definitely recommend it.

In the picture straight on, it looks white. Perhaps an illusion. So is the bar done in all Amber lenses then? And are the 3 lenses done in Driving/Combo?

Would be nice if you could post up a night shot so we can see how bright they are from the drivers seat.

OP
OP
F

faceoff4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the picture straight on, it looks white. Perhaps an illusion. So is the bar done in all Amber lenses then? And are the 3 lenses done in Driving/Combo?

Would be nice if you could post up a night shot so we can see how bright they are from the drivers seat.

That is probably a better question for the Baja Design folks. I will try to take some pics tonight from the drivers side with all of them on as well as just the white lights and then the amber back lighting.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Rick,

Our S8 LED Light Bar comes standard with an Amber Backlight Feature. This can be used when the White ON/OFF is not activated. The above light is standard S8 30" Driving/Combo white.
You can either activate via upfitter switch or you can tie it into the running lights. This is our kit shown here:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Ford-Raptor-2017-30-S8-Grille-LED-Light-Bar-Kit.asp

Light Shown/Included in above kit:
S8, 30" LED Light Bar, Driving/Combo
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/S8-30-inch-Driving-Combo-LED-Light-Bar.asp

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

OP
OP
F

faceoff4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here a some pics I took with the lights at night. First pic is with no lights on, the next three are just the S8 lightbar on and the truck's lights off, the last one is with the lightbar off and the driving lights from the truck on for comparison purposes. I hope this helps and again I am a big fan of this bar so far. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4145 copy.jpg
    IMG_4145 copy.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4146 copy.jpg
    IMG_4146 copy.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4152 copy.jpg
    IMG_4152 copy.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4134 copy.jpg
    IMG_4134 copy.jpg