Installed Ford Performance Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty straightforward. But unlike some of the posted videos (e.g. CJ Pony), using the lower hole to fill is about 3.5 quarts so had to run down and buy a forth to finish up. Also, you will have to reuse one of the hanger bolts off the org diff case for a brake line bracket near the top.

1. Drop the spare. Enough room under there to almost sit up. You might be able to do it on a lift without dropping spare, but it would be a pain. Picture of original diff case in Pic 1.
  2. It was kinda dirty for only 4k miles. Pic 2.
  3. Covered the gears to keep crap from falling into gears when cleaning. Pic 3.
  4. Started with small scrub pad, but that got old quick. Used brass brush and flat screwdriver for the thick stuff. Once clean, I flushed it all out to make sure crap did not stay in the diff. Nice thing is the new diff cover has a magnet in the bottom drain plug. Pic 4.
  5. All finished in Pic 5.

Now while spare out, I power washed it. Going to paint any rusted areas with black Rust-Oleum and then hit underside with Amsoil HDMP.

Some more info in this Gen 1 thread.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/ford-performance-diff-cover-58042/

1-Original.jpg

2-Dirty.jpg

3-Cleaning.jpg

4-Clean.jpg

5-Finished.jpg

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Ironically, I was just looking at the rear diff cover last night on the website. I think the price is reasonable, and your pics have inspired me to pull the trigger. I have some fluid film that I need to hit the undercarriage with after.

Last edited:

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$220 Shipped on CJ Pony Parts right now.

Mine is sitting in the garage, gonna slap it on this weekend.

Looks good hamster

Last edited:

JeremyFXDWG

Reaction score
You guys putting it in with permatex or buying a reusable gasket?

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

For anyone who does not care about the ford logo on it, I think this is just a rebranded spicer cover which is only $150 or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M59ZUA5/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
You guys putting it in with permatex or buying a reusable gasket?

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

For anyone who does not care about the ford logo on it, I think this is just a rebranded spicer cover which is only $150 or so.

It comes with a gasket.

Good find on original supplier. That is one expensive ford logo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
hamster

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At CJ Pony, always use 5% off coupon available via Google. EP1012 was last one that worked for me.

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

If I would have seen this one, I would have re-labeled myself and saved $50.

Edit....I forgot I used Pony points from when bought exhaust so only paid $159....so free FP logo this time.

Last edited:

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so hamster, other than looking bling, does this thing actually meant to do anything? Because I don't anticipate a lot of the starbucks mall crawlers with their HRE wheels crunching the pumpkin over rocks, so surely this cannot be for protection.