Installed - Fog, Driving/Combo, Spot lights - Baja Designs Squadron Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro - Wide Cornering-Amber, Driving/Combo, Spot along with mounting brackets, wiring harness and AUX1/Fog relocation harness from @Specialtyperformanceparts.

Wide Cornering to AUX1
Driving Combo to AUX2
Spot to AUX 3

That is how I installed the lights in the mounting bracket from the outside to inside. The AUX1 is much easier for me to use then reaching down and pressing the FOG switch.

TIP - I flipped the base plates AND the lens covers so the BD logo, etc. were orientated UP
TIP - install the BD lights with the correct orientation of the mounting brackets. (see 3rd pic) yeah @*#$ did it wrong initially. caught it when I test fit the mounted lights and discovered the lights were recessed too much.
TIP - Remove the front tire(s). I was too stubborn and it added a lot of time having to remove the bolts with a socket wrench barely able to get my arms in place.
TIP - Once the factory fog lights are removed, I threaded rebar tie wire from the driver side to the passenger side where a couple other wiring looms were run (just behind the grill). I tapped up the connectors with gaffer tape and was able to easily pull them to the driver side.
TIP - I angled the mounting bracket during installation so the top of the BD light housings were as close to the top of the opening as possible. My install had the outside bracket mounted slighly higher then the inside. It is an easy adjustment to fiddle with since the bracket has adjustment grooves for each bolt.

The brace uses a 8mm, the lower bolts and 2 of the upper bolts are 10mm. There are 2 T-30 on the top that hold the light assembly. These are a PITA to remove and one of mine was stripped. The mounting bracket only requires 4 bolts plus re-attaching the brace so I tossed the T-30s.

Think they look great. Plan to get some black weatherproof tape to wrap the connectors so they can't be seen when looking down into the space just in front of the lights. Will test performance tomorrow night.

John @Specialtyperformanceparts was available to answer a couple question via phone. Great support from him

IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

IMG_4737.jpeg

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very pleased. No regrets. the wide cornering are wider and brighter and the amber is much better in fog and snow since amber does not reflect back as much as white. The factory low and high beams broadcast a diffused, even pattern of light. The Driving Combos are MUCH brighter and much more directional. One analogy might be entering a dark room and turning on some 60 watt ceiling lights or entering the room with a high powered, wide beam flashlight. The amount of light broadcast closer to the front of the truck by the Driving bulbs is amazing ... when I turn on the Driving Combo when running the low beams, the light pattern of the driving bulbs are so obvious from inside because they are so bright and light up the road. The Combo bulbs are Spot and throw a lot of light in a narrow (8 degrees) field down the road with no scatter. I got the dedicated Spot for even more directional light as far down the road as possible since the Driving Combo splits the 4,600 lumens betweenthe Driving and the spot. With the 3rd light - Spot - that is all 4,600 lumens at 8 degrees. great for dark forested roads with lots of wildlife.

I thought about the Racer as a third light at 4 degrees but had read that those are designed for desert racing at speeds exceeding 100mph and while the raptor is certainly capable of doing that on a forest service road, my skills /reflexes /eyesight aren't good enough for that stuff after dusk anymore :)

If you swap the base plates so the logo is upright, it is critcal to also swap the driving combo lens since the lens cover patterns the beam.

I am also running the 2021 + FORD RAPTOR - REAR BAJA DESIGNS S2 / SPV REVERSE LIGHT KIT (NO DRILL/MOD) rear light kit from @Specialtyperformanceparts and equally pleased with the improvement in amount of light. Somebody had a concern about the light washing out the camera but I do not have that problem.

Being in control of all the lights via the AUX swtiches is another benefit that is important to me.

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve only used the Amber’s so far on roads with oncoming traffic and not turned them off. the driving combo and the spot are much brighter then the factory high beams so I treat them like high beams and turn them off when oncoming cars are lit- up

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I guess the next question would be can they be used on a regular road without blinding drivers…?

Hey Osprey,

You can run them on the road, however, I would be courteous of other people and make sure you aim the lights appropriately and see where the beam pattern hits. People do run them on the road with great success though.

Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bought a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro - Wide Cornering-Amber, Driving/Combo, Spot along with mounting brackets, wiring harness and AUX1/Fog relocation harness from @Specialtyperformanceparts.

Wide Cornering to AUX1
Driving Combo to AUX2
Spot to AUX 3

That is how I installed the lights in the mounting bracket from the outside to inside. The AUX1 is much easier for me to use then reaching down and pressing the FOG switch.

TIP - I flipped the base plates AND the lens covers so the BD logo, etc. were orientated UP
TIP - install the BD lights with the correct orientation of the mounting brackets. (see 3rd pic) yeah @*#$ did it wrong initially. caught it when I test fit the mounted lights and discovered the lights were recessed too much.
TIP - Remove the front tire(s). I was too stubborn and it added a lot of time having to remove the bolts with a socket wrench barely able to get my arms in place.
TIP - Once the factory fog lights are removed, I threaded rebar tie wire from the driver side to the passenger side where a couple other wiring looms were run (just behind the grill). I tapped up the connectors with gaffer tape and was able to easily pull them to the driver side.
TIP - I angled the mounting bracket during installation so the top of the BD light housings were as close to the top of the opening as possible. My install had the outside bracket mounted slighly higher then the inside. It is an easy adjustment to fiddle with since the bracket has adjustment grooves for each bolt.

The brace uses a 8mm, the lower bolts and 2 of the upper bolts are 10mm. There are 2 T-30 on the top that hold the light assembly. These are a PITA to remove and one of mine was stripped. The mounting bracket only requires 4 bolts plus re-attaching the brace so I tossed the T-30s.

Think they look great. Plan to get some black weatherproof tape to wrap the connectors so they can't be seen when looking down into the space just in front of the lights. Will test performance tomorrow night.

John @Specialtyperformanceparts was available to answer a couple question via phone. Great support from him

Hey Max,

Love the truck looks awesome!!

OP
OP
M

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a friend as a passenger and I was driving late at night on a forested road. I turned on my factory high beams and then turned on my Driving Combos and Spots. He was already trying to figure out if he should get a Raptor and realized he was going to also need to get these lights. such an obvious brightness and pattern difference. might try shooting the dif with my real camera (instead of iPhone) though won't be a new moon till the end of the month

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Osprey,

You can run them on the road, however, I would be courteous of other people and make sure you aim the lights appropriately and see where the beam pattern hits. People do run them on the road with great success though.

Best,
Brock Brunkhorst
Kinda surprised you would say that as they are specifically off road lights and not street legal. I used them on deserted roads and always kept my hand on the switches to immediately shut them off when I would see approaching headlights. No matter how you aim them so they are functional, they will absolutely blind oncoming traffic.