Installed custom box from CSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I was lucky enough to win the free custom enclosure of my choice for submitting pictures to the SnoBall 500 picture thread. I had been wanting to upgrade for a while anyway, so it was a great opportunity to get the enclosure I wanted, and start my system upgrade.

After looking at a few options, I decided to go with the new JL 10" shallow mount subwoofer (10TW3-D4: 10TW3-D4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - TW3 - JL Audio), paired with the JL 600-watt mono amp (XD600/1: XD600/1 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - XD - JL Audio).

I listen to mostly rock music, and over the years have had a preference for 10" woofers in the variety of systems that I ran. I didn't want BOOMING bass... I wanted nice sounding enhancement, and this woofer fits the bill perfectly!

I went up to Noah's shop as he was just finishing up the final touches. This is the completed box, as delivered from The Car Stereo Company:

null_zps246accac.jpg

null_zps4731673b.jpg

As you'll see, there's a large indent in the box, to also mount the amplifier for the sub so it all sits under the rear 2/3 portion of the seat. Being a custom box, I specified that I wanted the ability to LATER add the XD900/5 amp into the same location, when I'm ready to upgrade all my door speakers and full amp down the road. Noah purposely oversized this area, with the dimensions of the XD900 amp in mind! Pretty sweet.

I spent the better part of 4 hours yesterday installing the system myself at home in West Covina. If you've done audio installs in the past, the subwoofer on it's own is NOT difficult, especially with the box ready to drop in, and Noah's detailed instructions he gave me.

null_zpsf6296b7b.jpg

Once everything is installed and cleaned up, it's VERY nice! Doesn't take up any leg room, and is a very clean looking setup.

null_zps870cd988.jpg

null_zps36f881dc.jpg

The cutout you see in the bottom ledge of the box, is to accomodate the OEM floormats!

After about 20 minutes of playing with the tuning and going off Noah's recommendations, I found a nice setting where I'm SUPER happy with the results. It's truly incredible the difference just installing a sub woofer makes to the system. It's super clean, tight, and enhances the music tremendously. On top of that, the look of a professionally constructed custom box definitely helps!

Thanks for offering up the GENEROUS giveaway prize Noah, I know these things take a few days of work, and truly appreciate it. Can't wait for phase 2... full door speaker replacements and 5-channel amp down the road!

:busaballs:

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have this hooked up high level inputs with the factory nav system? Can you give details on the connections?

Sent with Tapatalk and my iPad --George (Pinenut with a Y)

OP
OP
BlueSVT

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you have this hooked up high level inputs with the factory nav system? Can you give details on the connections?

Sent with Tapatalk and my iPad --George (Pinenut with a Y)
Yes, factory navigation connection... using the existing subwoofer connections, wired through a PAC Hi/Lo converter. Very straight forward. I cut the wires from the factory sub, so I could still re-use the green harness that's inside the truck, in case I want to remove and return to stock later (which I would, if I sold).

I'll take a picture... very straight forward, and surprisingly enough sounds good with this connection.

null_zpsd7939d1e.jpg

Last thing I need to do is mount the PAC module, and clean up all the wires... ran out of "attention span" last night... haha

Last edited:

Banned
Reaction score
Looks fantastic.
Top quality stuff from Noah as usual.

Can't wait to get my system all done from him. Anyone wanna pay for it for me? Ha...

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congrats on the box matt. i hope it provides you with plenty of enjoyment. just a reminder, if you somehow manage to damage the box while its in the truck from your offroad adventures, it will be replaced for as long as you own your truck. just cmon up when you are readyfor those focal krx2's. hahaha

and 6.2, we can put you on a payment plan....

OP
OP
BlueSVT

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
congrats on the box matt. i hope it provides you with plenty of enjoyment. just a reminder, if you somehow manage to damage the box while its in the truck from your offroad adventures, it will be replaced for as long as you own your truck. just cmon up when you are readyfor those focal krx2's. hahaha

and 6.2, we can put you on a payment plan....

Sweet! Didn't know that, great deal!

You need to post the box acceptance picture!

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great and great thinking regarding the floor mat...I have to slice mine up after just installing my 8L7's.