Installed Bakflip MX4 - love this thing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Admin.RealTruck

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I would be 100% for the Mx4 if I knew I could fold it into the last 3rd and still put my bike in the back. Unfortunately I can't find measurements on the tonneau when it's folded up. I have a pretty big mountain bike a 73 inches wheel to wheel. I don't know anyone with one or I would just measure it out.

They don't have measurements of each panel, but we can work backwards to get a rough idea. Raptor short beds going to be about 67" inside to inside. Cover is a tri-fold, but you have about a 5" flap panel that sits at the cab, so each panel is going to be about 21", plus the 5" flap panel, should take up approximately 26". Albeit this is a pretty rough estimate, it should give you an idea on clearance with your bike.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I would be 100% for the Mx4 if I knew I could fold it into the last 3rd and still put my bike in the back. Unfortunately I can't find measurements on the tonneau when it's folded up. I have a pretty big mountain bike a 73 inches wheel to wheel. I don't know anyone with one or I would just measure it out.

I have the BakFlip F1, which is exactly the same as the MX4, except it is composite instead of painted aluminum. I just measured mine and with it folded twice and it was 38" between the cover and the tailgate. With the cover folded up all the way up against the cab, I measured 58", so the third section is 20".

You mentioned you hang your wheel over the tailgate, so you might have enough room with the last section down.

MidnightSpecial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't have measurements of each panel, but we can work backwards to get a rough idea. Raptor short beds going to be about 67" inside to inside. Cover is a tri-fold, but you have about a 5" flap panel that sits at the cab, so each panel is going to be about 21", plus the 5" flap panel, should take up approximately 26". Albeit this is a pretty rough estimate, it should give you an idea on clearance with your bike.

I have the BakFlip F1, which is exactly the same as the MX4, except it is composite instead of painted aluminum. I just measured mine and with it folded twice and it was 38" between the cover and the tailgate. With the cover folded up all the way up against the cab, I measured 58", so the third section is 20".

You mentioned you hang your wheel over the tailgate, so you might have enough room with the last section down.

I really appreciate the help.

I measured my bikes reach, chainstay, and wheel radius and it comes out to 48-50 inches. So I'm about 10 inches too ling to fit the bike in with the cover down.

Guess I'll be going with the x4

breed

Reaction score
I just put the MX4 on my 18 Raptor. I had the G2 on my 16 Lariat, which was good, but the MX4 seems to be even more well built.

Admin.RealTruck

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I really appreciate the help.

I measured my bikes reach, chainstay, and wheel radius and it comes out to 48-50 inches. So I'm about 10 inches too ling to fit the bike in with the cover down.

Guess I'll be going with the x4

The X4 is still a great cover. You get a matte finish to blend in with the bed rail caps, still a 3 year warranty and the tailgate seal that doesn't require you to open the cover prior to shutting the tailgate. Feel free to PM when you're ready for our FRF pricing.

I just put the MX4 on my 18 Raptor. I had the G2 on my 16 Lariat, which was good, but the MX4 seems to be even more well built.

I love the finish of the MX4 personally. The matte finish looks sharp.

Last edited:

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used the solid (over the side-caps and tailgate) covers, just how water proof are these folding units? In a heavy rainfall while parked or driving; does your gear get wet in any areas? Note, I'm not asking if the interior of the bed will stay completely dry in a hurricane, just in a heavy rainstorm.

Qbngringo

Reaction score
I have the MX4 in Florida which has rain everyday right now, every time i have opened the cover or tailgate the bed is completely dry.